Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java 8 update 45 on OSX 10.9.5

I simply can't update to Java 8 update 45 (latest version). I'm running on OSX10.9.5

I download it, install it, get a success confirmation, yet when I get to test if the installation worked, the Java page says that my version is out of date, and prompts me to run the whole process again.

I have tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome, neither works.

(I need this Java update to run a tax income program actually, it's not even for websites)

Can anybody help me?

Thank you!!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:15 PM

Yes, I ran into the same issue. The update routine is not working correctly. Just download it from the Java site and run the installer.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.h tml

User uploaded file

14 replies

Jun 20, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex,

That's a rather old warning, now. It wasn't long after Oracle release update 45 with adware attached that they took it out. They must have gotten a LOT of heat from users about tacking that on. There was a check box in the dialogue to disable installing the web bar, but still.

I downloaded it again just now and it's still adware free.

Jun 20, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Kurt Lang

"it simply works". That's one of the mottos that makes apple product so great.

Even if Java etc. are this party and obviously not under the control of Apple (like for example the apps hat are submitted to the App Store), I do have the hope that Apple undertakes great effort to solve also these problems.

And many users of Apple products, who are really happy with them, are still forced to use or access third party applications and technologies.

As I said, I am aware of the enormous problems my proposition implies, since no one can get Oracle to submit Java to the App Store.

It would be a shining example of Apple's strong interest in customer satisfaction, if they could come up with a plan to make these things happen.

As I recall, Steve Jobs understood the that embracing Intel CPUs, Microsoft and Bill Gates was the way to go.

(- I don't want to start a discussion about that. I'm just stating the fact)

Jun 20, 2015 9:49 AM in response to takeuchi

"it simply works". That's one of the mottos that makes apple product so great.

And that would be great, were it actually possible. To expect any software company to have millions of lines of code in the OS alone, not to mention making it work with thousands of third party titles, and still expect it to be perfect is, to say the least, unreasonable.

Jun 20, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Kurt Lang

After years in IT, I've still not lost hope that sometimes some CEOs and managers look beyond the short term and have a vision for the long term.

And I did not say that I expect anyone to be perfect. You should know that no one is perfect. As do I.

Java is used widely (I won't discuss why or the pros and cons), it's just a fact.

It won't vanish anytime soon.

So in cases like this I'm expressing the wish that Apple might care more than other companies in the same sort of dilemma.

And the case in point is Apple's turn to Intel CPUs and the rest of the story.

Maybe they could pull off something like that again?

At least I hope it and think, that if a company exists on this globe that could actually pull that off it is in fact Apple.

I know I'm raising the bar extremely high, but shouldn't we aim for a clear goal?

Well, I hope I've made my point clear.

Jun 20, 2015 12:32 PM in response to takeuchi

Indeed. I can't disagree with any of your points. A lot of folks, including myself, wish Apple would slow down on the OS releases and spend more time cleaning up bugs rather than seeing how many more features they can pack into it on a now yearly basis.

Hopefully, that's what El Capitan will actually turn out to be. The WWDC showing of it had far fewer feature announcements than the last few major OS upgrades. So maybe that's what it is more than anything else - a cleaning up and stability release.

Java 8 update 45 on OSX 10.9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.