Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I safely use my ipod with my computer without apple mobile device ethernet showing in my device manager?

I tried to reinstall it and since it was a windows driver I was told that it would come back after I restarted my computer.

Can I use my ipod with itunes and windows explorer if I don't have apple mobile device ethernet?

My ipod and computer still recognize my ipod and it syncs but am I harming anything?

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:48 PM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2015 5:38 PM in response to lllaass

My computer just told me to troubleshoot it but when I did it failed and said it couldn't find it. The message was that it didn't start. Then I uninstalled it from device manager but it didn't come back when I restarted my computer.

I was told it lets the computer know the proper way to read ios devices and not just a random usb bulk storage device; so I was just curious as to whether not having it could corrupt anything.

But then someone else told me it was just a cable.

So I'm just a bit confused as to what it is and if I need it.

I looked on my dad's computer under device manager and don't see it listed on his and he uses itunes with an ipad.

So I'm wondering how I had it in the first place, and if I really need it.

Apr 30, 2015 1:47 AM in response to jacquelyn89

Try:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows

The above line discusses the Apple Mobile Device Support and Apple Mobile Device USB driver

- I would start with

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

or

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

However, after your remove the Apple software components also remove the iCloud Control Panel via Windows Programs and Features app in the Window Control Panel. Then reinstall all the Apple software components

- Then do the other actions of:

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

paying special attention to item #5

- New cable and different USB port

- Run this and see if the results help with determine the cause

iTunes for Windows: Device Sync Tests

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem

Can I safely use my ipod with my computer without apple mobile device ethernet showing in my device manager?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.