Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best MacPro configuration to run Photoshop CC

I am planning to buy the fastest MacPro possible to run Photoshop CC. I have a photography studio and have to process large files, some as large as 1 TB.

Money is not an issue here!!

I would like to configure the fastest MacPro as long as Photoshop can take advantage of its features and configuration.

Does 4 Core vs. 6 Core makes that much difference?

What about the video cards?

I know I will be putting all the RAM possible as well as an SSD HD.

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Cesar ****

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:27 PM

7 replies

Feb 13, 2017 6:28 AM in response to wildnature

thats still interesting for me, as i am working in prof. photography and constantly look for ways to improve my working place.

as far as now, i ve been working with 2 systems since 2005:

- old mac pro 2006 (1st mac pro metal house) and current mac pro late 2013 with 64GB RAM: the old one (first mac pro 2006 with 16GB RAM) was a real work horse and is still working since 2006 (yes we are at feb. 2017), running nearly 24h, 5 days per week in postproduction.

the new one is fast enough for most photography, postproduction and video works with at least 64GB RAM. (my files are mostly 16bit and 10-50 GB each)

- imac late 2013 and imac late 2015 5k with 32GB RAM: not as satisfying regarding speed and performance as mac pro 2013 but ok for batch processing large phase-one 60 or 80 Megapixel raws in 16bit. working on large 16bit .psb at 10.000 pixel square format, with imac is very slow when you have a decent amount of layers (20-60), actually you cant work with the imac on such large 16bit files.

so the mac pro with plenty ram (64GB) is still my favorite for photoshop cc 2017,

if you have got the money to spend on 6core, go with it, if not, the 4core is ok due to higher gigaherz. (3,7). the 8 core is not supported by photoshop, as i think that it utilizes only 3 or 4 cores max. so, if you got a 6 core mac pro, the rest of the 6 cores, (for example 2) are used by the finder for copy processes, zipping, safari or mail.

think about 8 core: it has lower gigaherz, and this means it will run slower for photoshop cc as it is dependent on Ghz. (higher Ghz = faster working photoshop)

another very important experience: always order the 1TB SSD or at least 512GB SSD. the rest of the unused space is used as scratch disc by CC. and 2 or 3 parallel projects can gain up to 200 or 300GB of SSD space. so the 512GB SSD in my mac pro is always full, unless i dont have any multiple job-projects.

working on after effects cc 2017 and premiere projects besides photography: they are very hungry for SSD space, thats why i would prefer the 1 or 2TB SSD from 2017 or 2018.

as backup and 2nd scratch disc for photoshop i use one OWC thunderbay 4 via thunderbolt and one caldigit T3 with an empty 256GB SSD dedicated only for photoshop CC 2017 also via thunderbolt on second thunderbolt bus.

the mac pro has 2 thunderbolt bus ports, thats a huge advantage, as 2 datastreams can run independently direct to the processor cores via PCI.

of course i am looking forward to order the runner up: a potential 6core mac pro 2017 with Thunderbolt 3 and faster internal SSD with 2-3 GB/second throughput.

whats your opinion?

Feb 13, 2017 6:40 AM in response to wildnature

the Mac Pro's have not updated any hardware or changed price in over 3 years, you will be getting a 3 year old computer for the same price you paid 3 years ago. All that aside I supporting over a dozen iMac i7's with various configurations all running CC. The general consensus is CC runs slower than CS in all cases on these same systems.

If you go with a video card option note Apple has not released any new Macs with Nvidia cards so any Quatro or GeForce acceleration will need to be done after-market, the "new" Mac pros do not support internal GPU upgrade like the previous generation of Mac Pros' did and while it can be done without sanction from Apple it will void your warranty and it's not that easy.

Feb 13, 2017 8:36 AM in response to peppermint

Apple won't tell us if they have one planned until the unveil it at whatever venue they decide, if they decide to do it.

Until them my 2010 is still pulling its weight like a some critter from American folklore who is responsible for some geological oddity on the continental landscape. Either way a new Pro is LONG overdue but I don't see Apple going back to Nvidia anytime soon so I would not be surprised to see an ATI only affair out of Cupertino if a new model sees the light of day.

Apr 29, 2015 7:20 AM in response to wildnature

For Photoshop, the best... does Adobe use more than 6 or 8-cores? likely not.

Does it work well with AMD D700s? not as well as with GTX 980.

The Classic Mac Pro (pre-2013 6,1) might really be the ideal.

6- or 12-core 3.4GHz

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1688727

128GB RAM

OEM Apple/Samsung 1TB SSD blade on PCIe adapter (pass thru slot adapter, not controller).

Very similar to the XP941 or SM951/953

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1685821

This site:

http://www.macperformanceguide.com (they do VAR as well if interested)

Best MacPro configuration to run Photoshop CC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.