Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some software updates pertain to things that I would never need. Is it okay to "pick and choose" which software updates we install?

I am not computer savvy, so bare with me. I have OSX Lion 10.7.5. I only use it to surf and for photos. I keep getting reminders that software updates are ready to install. And for months and months I have continued to ignore them because their explanations seem to tell me they are not things I would ever want or need. I see no reason to take up space on my computer for things that I have no intention of using. (Yes, I am a "mature" person). The updates are for Remote Desktop Client; Migration Assistant for Lion migrating to Maverick??; Airport Utility and i-Tunes. I also keep coming across in blogs and articles about upgrading from Lion to some other new app or software called Yosemite and I don't know if that is something I need to do? Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 7:55 AM

You have the ability to 'hide' updates, which is what I do when OS X wants to update or install drivers for printers/cameras I don't have. That way it won't keep notifying you of updates you don't want. Either use the menu bar at the top, or right-click the update and click on Hide Update.

Yosemite is the newest version of OS X, which is the operating system for your Mac. Yosemite is more secure, and runs a bit faster than Lion on my iMac, although it looks a bit different. Check out http://www.apple.com/osx/ to learn if you want to upgrade or not. It's a free download from Apple.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 7:55 AM in response to SharLeeSylvania

You have the ability to 'hide' updates, which is what I do when OS X wants to update or install drivers for printers/cameras I don't have. That way it won't keep notifying you of updates you don't want. Either use the menu bar at the top, or right-click the update and click on Hide Update.

Yosemite is the newest version of OS X, which is the operating system for your Mac. Yosemite is more secure, and runs a bit faster than Lion on my iMac, although it looks a bit different. Check out http://www.apple.com/osx/ to learn if you want to upgrade or not. It's a free download from Apple.

Aug 6, 2016 2:23 AM in response to SharLeeSylvania

HI there,

My name is Khiang Choon Lee from Malaysia

i am facing iPhone 5 problem as below photo

After upgraded to this latest software, my iPhone also "HANG"

Need to press the right top on/off button for 1 - 2 sec to get back normally

I do not know what is happening and only way is to bring forward this topic to you

Please see images attached for my iPhone updated software version and others

Hopefully, your advis will helps to overcome this problem

Some software updates pertain to things that I would never need. Is it okay to "pick and choose" which software updates we install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.