Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i receive text messages on my iPad air

I receive text messages on my iPad and iPhone but seems I can only receive iMessages on my MacBook....is there a way to add that feature??

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 12:23 PM

Hi Kiv427,

It sounds like your iOS devices are able to send and recieve text messages but your Mac hasn't yet joined the party. I would look at the following article to help you get SMS messaging setup on your computer:

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

If you still have difficulty using this feature, check out this article about troubleshooting Continuity:

Get help using Continuity with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 12:23 PM in response to kiv427

Hi Kiv427,

It sounds like your iOS devices are able to send and recieve text messages but your Mac hasn't yet joined the party. I would look at the following article to help you get SMS messaging setup on your computer:

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

If you still have difficulty using this feature, check out this article about troubleshooting Continuity:

Get help using Continuity with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Apr 30, 2015 12:28 PM in response to sterling r

Hi!

Open the Messages App on your Mac.

On the top left of the entire screen, click Messages > Preferences

Click on the Account tap toward the top

Click your account you iMessage with

You'll see the option "You can be reached for messaging at:

Ensure your phone number is checked, and folks can send texts by phone number to your Mac

If not, i would uncheck the box "enable this account" close Messages, open it again and sign in. then try the above again.

Apr 30, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

It has to be a phone number registered in your Apple ID, and that can only be your iPhone number... But that is a GREAT idea, i just suspect some people would abuse it and just make up phone numbers. You should suggest that to Apple, and have them put some sort of phone number verification process in so we could add LAN numbers to Macs, iPads, and iPod touches.

can i receive text messages on my iPad air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.