Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 12inch to thunderbolt display?

How do you connect the USC Macbook 12 inch to an Apple Thunderbolt Display?

MacBook, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2017 11:33 AM

Short answer: Thunderbolt displays - any generation - are not supported by the 12" MacBook. You must use an Apple computer that contains Thunderbolt hardware within it, which the 12" MacBook does not have.

Longer answer: I actually tried this in the spring of 2017 with a variety of adapters with one of the techs at a local Apple Store with just about all the (Apple-supported) adapters they had onhand that would mechanically fit the Thunderbolt 2 display. With every single adapter, we got a message on the 12" MacBook that we connected an unsupported display. Same thing happened with the newer Thunderbolt monitors produced by LG for Thunderbolt 3.

Conclusion: Even though Thunderbolt 3 connections are the same fit as USB-C (or that Thunderbolt 2 connections are the same fit as mDP) Thunderbolt displays will not work with those ports unless they are explicitly specified as Thunderbolt ports on the computer, meaning the computer contains the necessary hardware within it to make it work with Thunderbolt devices, including Thunderbolt displays.

This means that you have 3 options:

1. You can get a third-party USB-C (non-Thunderbolt - this is important) docking station and a third-party HDMI display, both together comparable to the cost of the Apple-endorsed LG Thunderbolt displays. The USB-C (non-Thunderbolt) dock and HDMI display will work with the 12" MacBook, though I haven't had a chance to test its performance.
  2. You can opt for a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or some other Apple computer with specified Thunderbolt support, which will either work with or can be adapted to work with any of the Thunderbolt displays.
  3. You can just use the 12" MacBook like an iPad Pro that runs Mac OS, which really is what Apple's designers likely had in mind when they created the 12" MacBook - a hyper-portable computer that's not really meant to be used with any computer-style connected accessories; we don't expect our iPads to dock to external displays, right?
49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2017 11:33 AM in response to jwalker.home

Short answer: Thunderbolt displays - any generation - are not supported by the 12" MacBook. You must use an Apple computer that contains Thunderbolt hardware within it, which the 12" MacBook does not have.

Longer answer: I actually tried this in the spring of 2017 with a variety of adapters with one of the techs at a local Apple Store with just about all the (Apple-supported) adapters they had onhand that would mechanically fit the Thunderbolt 2 display. With every single adapter, we got a message on the 12" MacBook that we connected an unsupported display. Same thing happened with the newer Thunderbolt monitors produced by LG for Thunderbolt 3.

Conclusion: Even though Thunderbolt 3 connections are the same fit as USB-C (or that Thunderbolt 2 connections are the same fit as mDP) Thunderbolt displays will not work with those ports unless they are explicitly specified as Thunderbolt ports on the computer, meaning the computer contains the necessary hardware within it to make it work with Thunderbolt devices, including Thunderbolt displays.

This means that you have 3 options:

1. You can get a third-party USB-C (non-Thunderbolt - this is important) docking station and a third-party HDMI display, both together comparable to the cost of the Apple-endorsed LG Thunderbolt displays. The USB-C (non-Thunderbolt) dock and HDMI display will work with the 12" MacBook, though I haven't had a chance to test its performance.
  2. You can opt for a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or some other Apple computer with specified Thunderbolt support, which will either work with or can be adapted to work with any of the Thunderbolt displays.
  3. You can just use the 12" MacBook like an iPad Pro that runs Mac OS, which really is what Apple's designers likely had in mind when they created the 12" MacBook - a hyper-portable computer that's not really meant to be used with any computer-style connected accessories; we don't expect our iPads to dock to external displays, right?

Apr 29, 2015 6:28 AM in response to Grane Duke

At this point of time its not possible to connect a thunderbolt display to the new macbook because the thunderbolt doesn’t support the USB 3.1 and the USB type C port on the new macbook..

This is utter nonsense. Adaptors are available and have been available for a while, why do you persist in with these inaccurate postings?

ThunderBolt displays use the MDP protocol and connector for video, nothing difficult about that.

Apr 29, 2015 6:35 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1, I know that you are really feeling the heat thats the reason your typed words and the product you listed doesn’t match at all.....😁

See for yourself, you have posted am image of USB - C to display port cable and your recommended adapter is USB-C to mini display port.....😁

Another proof of lack of complete knowledge.

Do you know that USB-C don’t support thunderbolt devices....?? I will still give you some time for the research.....

Apr 29, 2015 6:55 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

There is also this lot of adapters plus all the ones produced by Apple.

Your suggestion is still "you can't" I assume

User uploaded file

Perhaps you should look before you leap, once again.

I said provide some proof of evidence and not some nonsense.

The product photos which you just posted are not at all related to connecting a thunderbolt display to the new macbook. Please give up and stop struggling because you won’t find any.

Macbook 12inch to thunderbolt display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.