Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 iOS 8.3 - MZD Connect - Mazda 3

Hi there. As you can tell very new to this forum, however where best to try and find the solution!

I am in the UK and taken delivery of a Mazda 3, with what they claim to be the all singing all dancing Infotainment system, which it is until I try and connect my iPhone 6 with iOS 8.3 to it as a wifi hotspot to unlock the additional features of the Sat Navigation system, which includes live traffic/weather etc.

I followed the connection instruction by the book, and keep getting 'Network Error' pop ups, although a colleague of mine connected his Samsung Galaxy to it without issue, therefore leads me to believe it is an iPhone issue rather than a Mazda hardware issue. Has anyone encountered a similar issue and got it resolved. I did look at some forums about jail breaking and downloading an app which does the trick but unfortunately a) don't really wish to jailbreak my 6, and b) not sure one even exists for 8.3.

Hope someone out there can help, if not might be looking at getting a WiFi on the go device.

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2017 4:44 AM

I found that once you have paired the iphone as per HanJuOE instructions, thereafter everytime allowing the Mazda Connect to boot up and be ready to select which ever option (i.e Nav, Entertainment etc) you wish then switching on the Personal Hotspot on the iphone works. However it looses the connection when you switch the vehicle off and you have to toggle off/on the hotspot again. Downside is the iphone keeps dropping its bluetooth connection when making voice calls with the hotspot enabled. I ended up buying a Vodafone R216 4G mobile wi-fi dongle which works perfectly, keeps the connection and allows you to use your iphone for calls etc.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2017 4:44 AM in response to GoingCook-koo

I found that once you have paired the iphone as per HanJuOE instructions, thereafter everytime allowing the Mazda Connect to boot up and be ready to select which ever option (i.e Nav, Entertainment etc) you wish then switching on the Personal Hotspot on the iphone works. However it looses the connection when you switch the vehicle off and you have to toggle off/on the hotspot again. Downside is the iphone keeps dropping its bluetooth connection when making voice calls with the hotspot enabled. I ended up buying a Vodafone R216 4G mobile wi-fi dongle which works perfectly, keeps the connection and allows you to use your iphone for calls etc.

May 18, 2015 4:38 AM in response to GoingCook-koo

Hi,

for me the following workaround was finally succesful (nothing else helped):

FIRST start your MZD Connect Unit

Make sure wifi is activted within the MZD setup (hooked)

THEN you start your iphone´s Wifi-Hotspot (it doesn´t work vice versa)

Your WiFi-password must not exceed max 8 characters

Don´t use special characters within your password.

Be patient and wait for about 30 secs until the connection is established (you`ll see the lighted wifi icon then)

The connection will be lost when mzd is shutdown for more than one minute (don´t mean istop but complete ignition off)

you´ll then have to repeat all steps again

That´s how I get my system running every day.

JHA

May 18, 2015 11:16 AM in response to GoingCook-koo

Hi GoingCook-koo

the 8 digit-password situation was the one i finally succeeded.

I didn´t try to pump up my 8 digit password any more, because i have spent hours in this problem.

In the end i was so happy, so i left the system running without further experiments.

For me it would be useful to inform Mazda Germany, because they also were really unable to get this problem solved.

May 19, 2015 1:49 AM in response to GoingCook-koo

Hi,

yes it´s unreliable.

It works in about 90% of my connection trials.

In 10% of all tries it´s nearly impossible to establish a wifi link.

I use IOS 8.2 (didn´t like IOS 8.3 because of this fingerprint bug) and mzd version 33.00.0500

If you try long enough at least it will work. But of course that´s not the way it´s supposed to be.

I think it depends on the wifi-channel your last wifi link (e.g. homenetwork) was established at.

With Android-OS you can choose your channel, with IOS it´s not allowed unfortunately.

When i drive from home to office it works 100% reliable.

When i return from office to home there are faults in link establishing.

The problem occured on my iphones 4s, 5s, 6+ with IOS 6/7/8 and from MZD V19 until 33.

It´s really poor that in that period of time MAZDA wasn´t able to manage a simple WF-connection between it MZD and the Apple high end flagships.

I hope Mazda UK is listening to you, because Mazda Germany didn´t understand what i was talking about (so i capitulated).

Cheers

May 19, 2015 2:08 AM in response to HanJuOE

Well I am trying to get through to Mazda UK, but it appears it's Mazda Europe so you would be under the same umbrella. I had reset my Network settings last night when it first connected. Due to having 4G at home and good reception at work no need for wifi in reality, so as long as I don't connect to WiFi be interesting to see if it works or not...an update as promised, I emailed them to find out an update on my query - reply below

Dear Mr. Cook,

Thank you for your response.

We apologize that we can not offer any solution at this time. The issue is still being looked at by our engineering department. As soon as we have a response for you, we will contact you.

Do not hesitate to contact us with further questions.

Best regards

It amazes me that although I don't know what line of work you are in, but you manged to identify something that the manufacturers of the system clearly cant..3 weeks from asking...

I have asked for some form of escalation, and also tongue in cheek seeing if they would install one of their WLAN Routers (at a heavily reduced cost) which can purchased as an extra, if that doesn't work with their MZD Connect what hope have we got..

May 19, 2015 2:35 AM in response to GoingCook-koo

i already thought of buying a "Huwai E5776 LTE Mobile wifi Hotspot" for 150.- euros and connect it to the lighter jack

but there are three reasons against it:

* will this thing work with MZD-connect or will it be similar to the iphone-drama ? will it turn off, when car-ignition is Off ?

* i´d have to rent a second 4G SIM Card from my cellphone provider or rent an extra prepaid-card.

* i nearly payed 1000.- euros for an iphone 6+ where masses of people were queued up in front of apple stores over the world to get it. Why should i buy an extra mobile router ? That´s ridiculous.

I´ll crawl the web for any solutions like i did the last 18 months.

Let´s keep contact.

Cheers

May 19, 2015 3:20 AM in response to HanJuOE

After a week of nothing with the iPhone 6, I did some research on the web pointing to an issue with the iPhone which appears hadn't been addressed by Mazda, the only sure way like I mentioned in my post was to jailbreak, but not into that, so I too took the plunge and purchased this from EE

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/buzzard-2-from-ee/deta ils?WT.mc_id=ON_MEC_S_google_MIFI-GENERICHANDSET-BuzzardFromEE&WT.srch=1

One off cost of £19.99 but luckily only opted for the 30 day contract so I can cancel anytime which I will be doing shortly as this didn't appear to work either. Connected to all other devices without any issue at all just not the MZD. My device does turn off when the ignition is off, but not i-stop. I had heard through various sources, channel 11 only appears to be the most stable channel to work with the MZD which Mazda categorically deny saying nothing to do with the channels, but the wifi hotspot device only goes up to 7 channels available, I have tried connecting on 7 occasions in the same session.

Definitely keep contact and any further progress I make will of course keep you in the loop!

Jun 9, 2015 7:01 AM in response to torstenfromkøge

Try the whole procedure again as described above.

But try to make sure that no WiFi-connection to another network (e.g. iPhone <-> Home WLAN) is already established while doing so.

Some of my problems do result from this situation (especially at my workplace. when i leave my company building it´s hard to get my MZD network connected. When i´m leaving from home everything works fine).

Jul 15, 2015 10:57 AM in response to GoingCook-koo

UPDATE!

AFter numerous emails, telephone calls with MMUKAssistance, I have now had my Mazda 3 taken in with a replaced computer module showing Version 52 and connected to the iPhone 6 wifi hotspot without an issue. Admittedly only tried it the once so far but it is a step in the right direction, and also think from V33 which it was on to now V52 it has updated some hotspot issues.

Jan 20, 2016 2:58 AM in response to GoingCook-koo

HI yes replacing the CMU works. Just had mine replaced this week and now working a treat. My car now finds wifi networks and phones it never found before. speed of overall system has markly increased and a lot more usable. My top tip don't take mazda saying its your phone that is the problem and to refer them to this site!

iPhone 6 iOS 8.3 - MZD Connect - Mazda 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.