Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I straighten crooked footage by just a few degrees in iMovie?

Hi there,

hope someone can help!

I've taken footage which appears to be slightly crooked. It needs to be straightened by just a few degrees. iMovie seems only to allow rotation of 90 degree instalments. What do I do?

Thanks,

EC60

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 12:04 PM

No, you will have to do it outside of iMovie with a photo editing application then re-import.

(Final Cut Pro does offer arbitrary rotation.)

Geoff.

4 replies

Apr 30, 2015 1:06 AM in response to GeeD

Many thanks but I'm concerned that using an editing application and then re-importing may negatively affect image quality.

Also, I don't have Final Cut Pro but could download the free trial for 30 days. Some such free trails don't include all features. Do you know if the features for straightening and then exporting back to iMovie would be included on the free trial?

Apr 30, 2015 1:05 AM in response to EC60

"I'm concerned that using an editing application and then re-importing may negatively affect image quality"

The quality will only be degraded by the amount that the editing application degrades a photo when rotating and saving it.

"Do you know if the features for straightening and then exporting back to iMovie would be included on the free trial?"

Yes the trial version is fully functional.

Geoff.

How can I straighten crooked footage by just a few degrees in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.