Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pixelmator as an alternative to Aperture?

Everyone talks about CaptureOne and Lightroom as replacement for Aperture but Pixelmator is usually left out. It claims that it can now access Photos directly with its latest update. Is it a viable alternative to the others?

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 7:49 AM

Pixelmator is great as an external editor for image adjustments, and graphics compositions. But it is not a substitute for managing a photo library.

It has brushed adjustment and many nice effects.

I just tested it with the Photos.app, and it is easy to open a photo from the Photos library using Pixelmator's Photo Browser, edit it, and save it back to Photos.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Maddogjohn

Pixelmator is great as an external editor for image adjustments, and graphics compositions. But it is not a substitute for managing a photo library.

It has brushed adjustment and many nice effects.

I just tested it with the Photos.app, and it is easy to open a photo from the Photos library using Pixelmator's Photo Browser, edit it, and save it back to Photos.

Apr 29, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Maddogjohn

It will depend on what you require from a digital assets management system.

Photos allows you to manage your photos and edited version in a lossless way. You have can create albums and smart albums, add keywords, titles, captions. The star ratings are not supported, there is only the "Favourite" heart, no color labels, no flags. No batch changing of metadata.

Not all EXIF tags are displayed.

Photos supports many of the adjustments that Aperture had, but you cannot brush them in locally, and you cannot define adjustment presets or metadata presets.

I will keep my main photo library in Aperture for the time being and wait for a few improvements to Photos.

Pixelmator as an alternative to Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.