Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a MacPro with OS X Yosemite and a 30: Cinema Display. The Cinema HD Preferences-Options-Brightness Buttons check box keeps defaulting to Dusable brightness buttons. Even after I unlock Preferences to uncheck it, it reactivates automatically.

Using a MacPro with OS X Yosemite and a 30: Cinema Display. The Cinema HD Preferences-Options-Brightness Buttons check box keeps defaulting to Disable brightness buttons. Even after I unlock Preferences to uncheck it, it reactivates automatically. The only way I can get Brightness to be adjustable again is restarting the computer and sometimes need to reset SMB. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 8:55 AM

The cord on that display has a Dual-Link DVI and a USB cord. If you want to adjust the brightness, the USB must be plugged in properly.

4 replies

Apr 29, 2015 7:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for replying Bennet-Alder. I just unplugged and replugged the USB cable from the adapter in the back of the MacPro to see if that would help and now the Options section of the Display System Preferences completely disappeared. Next I did the same, but swapped with another USB that was plugged in and all is working. It seems the USB ports are finicky. I'm using all of the ports, and one is to a USB hub, is it possible that having too many USB devices plugged in can cause this problem?

Using a MacPro with OS X Yosemite and a 30: Cinema Display. The Cinema HD Preferences-Options-Brightness Buttons check box keeps defaulting to Dusable brightness buttons. Even after I unlock Preferences to uncheck it, it reactivates automatically.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.