Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Disk is Full

MacBook Air 11" 120GB now with only 5.83 free (Other = 59.03 GB) running Yosemite 10.10.2 -

In trying to get rid of the annoying "your hard disk is full" message.

1) I searched in my Applications Folder and found a icon of my hard drive labeled iPhoto Library Upgrader. Inside this seems to be a complete duplication of my Applications, Library, System, User Information and Users Folders. However, when I "get info" on it indicates size of only 1.9 MB. Trashing this won't save me much space anyway, but do I need to keep it?

2) There is also an icon of my HD labeled Silverlight - same info and same size?

3) What about the Microsoft Office 2008 and the 2011 versions? Can one of them go?

4) Microsoft Silverlight & Silverlight.dmg?

5) Does Yosemite still need VLC?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 11"

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 11"

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 6:21 AM

If you have Time Machine selected but do not attach your Time Machine and leave it attached long enough the local Time Machine backup files (other) could be filling up your drive.

Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions 30. What are Local Snapshots?

It sounds like the files are aliases, but I hesitate to tell you to delete without seeing exactly what they are. Why are Finder alias files so huge lately?

You can get rid of Silverlight and VLC. Delete all .dmg files and other installers in Downloads.

OmniDiskSweeper (free) is a great tool for finding large files.

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/

Usually the largest files are iTunes and iPhoto libraries. You can move these to an external drive and set iTunes and iPhoto to look to the new location.

Once you clean up, upgrade to OS X 10.10.3

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1804

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Kentucky Charlie

If you have Time Machine selected but do not attach your Time Machine and leave it attached long enough the local Time Machine backup files (other) could be filling up your drive.

Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions 30. What are Local Snapshots?

It sounds like the files are aliases, but I hesitate to tell you to delete without seeing exactly what they are. Why are Finder alias files so huge lately?

You can get rid of Silverlight and VLC. Delete all .dmg files and other installers in Downloads.

OmniDiskSweeper (free) is a great tool for finding large files.

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/

Usually the largest files are iTunes and iPhoto libraries. You can move these to an external drive and set iTunes and iPhoto to look to the new location.

Once you clean up, upgrade to OS X 10.10.3

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1804

May 4, 2015 6:30 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Thanks for your help!

• It 's not the time machine issue. I have it backed up to a separate HD.

• While waiting for a reply I deleted several laps for my iPad that I never use - surprising how much space they take!

• This gave me enough space to install OS X 10.10.3

• GREAT to know about iTunes and iPhoto being able to find their files on the HD. That will make all the difference!

Thanks again, you're very nice to help the uninformed.

May 28, 2015 1:40 AM in response to Kentucky Charlie

Charlie

I have the same problem

Almost a mirror image

A couple of questions for you:

a)

How much space did you save in the end by moving iTunes and iPhoto content to an external HD?
What type of Hard Drive do you use? Does it have to be an Apple Product?

b)

Do you use iCloud? I am paying for iCloud and shouldn't technically need an external HD. Can't I simply have all my iTunes content and iPhoto content stored on the cloud?

Cheers,

Graeme in London, England

Jun 1, 2015 10:39 AM in response to graeme0309

Hi Graeme,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Some new problems with getting my new Apple Wireless Router, with built in Time Machine back up, connected to the cable modem. (Had to have a tech from the internet provider make a "house call.") By the way, so far this is a fine piece of equipment with wider wireless range, a "guest" network and the automatic back up all working well.

a) Re your first question, I have yet to move my iPhoto files to my external drive. I used this for Time Machine backups, and I want to remove those back ups from that (Seagate GoFlex 1T solid state) drive to save room, and simply moving these to the trash doesn't seem to work well so far.

Regarding my initial question, I found the additional memory I needed on my computer's internal HD by deleting some Aps that I was not using and archiving some old files.

b) I do use iCloud for some photos and text files, and I find the complimentary amount of space Apple provides to be more than adequate without paying for anything additional.

I'm counting on the Time Machine back ups on the new Router to save me in case of a computer crash. I've had good luck with this in the past. The Apple Time Machine does an automatic backup every hour and manually if needed. For example if I'm taking the Computer to the Genius Bar, I can back up immediately before leaving home. You might consider using Time Machine - it backs up everything - the OS, the Applications and all my music, photo and text files.

Hard Disk is Full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.