Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

print from ipad without wifi

I have an iPad 2 that I'm considering getting a wired keyboard for and giving to my elderly mother-in-law to use as a typewriter, since ribbons aren't available. She does not have internet and the iPad does not have cellular capabilities. Would this be possible with an AirPrint printer?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 10:26 AM

13 replies

Oct 9, 2017 4:33 PM in response to pmar93

The answer I found on Google-

Turn the

printer on, go to the settings, and Restore the network connection to its factory defaults. Then go an turn WiFi "on". This creates an adhoc WiFi connection that your iPod, iPhone, or iPad can see. On your iDevice, connect the the new HP Wi

This worked for my HP pro 8600 so simple! After hours of reading and trying different things. Nothing here or on HP help pages!

Thank you, Thank you Google!

So glad I found this on Google and hope it helps others.

Oct 9, 2017 4:58 PM in response to pmar93

Staples, Office Depot and others still not only sell typewriter ribbons, they still sell typewriters (brothers and others still manufacturer them).

That said, you’d need to use a BT keyboard, not a wired one. There are several good full size BT keyboards though. And if your printer supports an ad-hoc wifi network, then you’d still print with AirPrint normally.

Oct 9, 2017 4:53 PM in response to AggiesMom

AggiesMom wrote:

The answer I found on Google-

Turn the

printer on, go to the settings, and Restore the network connection to its factory defaults. Then go an turn WiFi "on". This creates an adhoc WiFi connection that your iPod, iPhone, or iPad can see. On your iDevice, connect the the new HP Wi

This worked for my HP pro 8600 so simple! After hours of reading and trying different things. Nothing here or on HP help pages!

Thank you, Thank you Google!

So glad I found this on Google and hope it helps others.

Yup, that was mentioned in the first answer in this thread.

Apr 29, 2015 11:59 AM in response to pmar93

Depends on the printer. Some printers can create their own wifi network the iPad can connect to.

HP was their wireless direct printing option on some models of printers for instance:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/mobility/wireless-direct-printing.html

Alternatively you can buy a Wifi router to create a Wifi network even if there is no Internet access, and connect the iPad and Printer to it.

Apr 29, 2015 5:40 PM in response to pmar93

pmar93 wrote:

I have an iPad 2 that I'm considering getting a wired keyboard for and giving to my elderly mother-in-law to use as a typewriter,

The iPad doesn't support wired keyboards. Early on, people managed to get them to work through the Camera Connection Kit but later updates decreased the power that the lightning port provides.

I've certainly taught lots of people in their 80s and 90s how to use iOS devices. If they want to learn how to use them, they do. If the technology is given to them by even the best meaning of friends or relatives and they don't really haven an interest, they will struggle. A quick look on Amazon seems to indicate that both typewrites and ribbons are still available. I would spend some time discussing the idea with your relative, possibly letting them try someone else's iPad to see what they think of the idea.

Best of luck.

Jul 17, 2016 8:17 AM in response to pmar93

Since you can't get a wired keyboard, have you considered getting a keyboard/case for the iPad - that would make sense. I think you need to figure out how she will type on it as without creating anything, a printer won't help all that much. 😉

http://www.computershopper.com/slideshow/15-top-keyboard-cases-for-the-2012-ipad -and-ipad-2/zaggfolio-keyboard-case

print from ipad without wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.