Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canvas is bigger than set in sequence setting

I have three jpgs that are all exactly 1280 x 720 px that I need to simply transition together for a digital billboard.

I created a new sequence and in sequence settings made it 1280 x 720.

When I add my jpgs to the timeline they have a black border on two sides.

Either the canvas is too big or the jpgs are being added or displayed incorrectly.

Can someone help me understand why the borders are appearing if both are the same dimensions?

Thanks so much….Nick

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 10:56 AM

9 replies

Apr 29, 2015 11:06 AM in response to njturpin

In FCP, go to the browser and select one of the jpegs. Move the Browser Columns over until you see the Pixel Aspect column. Set the Pixel Aspect to Square. Now edit the jpeg to the timeline.

If this fixed the problem, repeat on the other jpegs (I believe you can just select the rest and change them all at once, but it has been a while since I've used FCP).

MtD

Apr 29, 2015 11:27 AM in response to njturpin

Yes. Your pixel aspect ratio should be Square.

Also, your Field Dominance should be None.

You are editing in a bottom-feeder codec, with substantial compression artifacts (DV) is there a reason for this?

For HD material you should be working in something like ProRes 422.

Are you mixing in video with these stills? What is the source video properties?

MtD

Apr 29, 2015 11:39 AM in response to Meg The Dog

I normally edit ProRes footage and when I drag the first clip to the timeline it generally sets all these settings automatically.

I forgot to do it manually now that I'm just using jpgs for this little project.

I have to submit this in H264 at the end…the files are sent to digital billboards across London using the mobile telephone network so need to be small.

These settings still don't explain the mismatch in image and canvas size though do they?

Thank you…..Nick

Apr 29, 2015 11:47 AM in response to njturpin

Good rule of thumb - always edit in highest quality possible, then make the delivery versions from that high quality master in the desired compressed format - but certainly up to you.

Changing the pixel aspect ratio to Square in the sequence settings didn't fix the problem?

Try creating a new sequence with the correct sequence settings snd drop one of your jpegs in and see if that works correctly.

MtD

Canvas is bigger than set in sequence setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.