Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finally using FCE 4.01 :-) what's the upgrade path?

Years ago I bought FCE but something came between me and my project and I did not get around to actually using it. Just played around with it a little.

Now, I'm on a iMac 2010 with 10.9.5 and just used FCE 4.01 to successfully import two MiniDV tapes from my JVC DVL-9800 camcorder. I've got a few .mov files in the FCE Scratch area that are fine.

So far so good. I would like to split these into scenes and turn these into high quality renderings.

Now my question: as FCE is out of support, what is the upgrade path for FCE projects? And I painting myself in a corner by using FCE?

Another question: is there a quick instruction somewhere to do what I want to do? I recall there was a huge manual for FCE and I'm afraid it will take me ages to find out how to do this.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Core i7, 27"

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 3:44 AM

Hello Gerben,

There is no real "upgrade path" for FCE projects. While you can certainly continue to use FCE for your video projects, there is no easy or natural path to upgrade FCE projects to Final Cut Pro X or other editing apps. I continue to use FCE myself and am completely satisfied with its functionality.

Regarding your question about learning FCE, I suggest Izzy Video FCE tutorials. All the tutorials are free to watch on his website, or for $47USD you can download all the lessons to your Mac. They are pretty good. The FCE manual is more of a reference work than something you could learn FCE from. Lynda.com also has an FCE tutorial video but you have to pay for it and I think Izzy's lessons are better.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 3:44 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

Hello Gerben,

There is no real "upgrade path" for FCE projects. While you can certainly continue to use FCE for your video projects, there is no easy or natural path to upgrade FCE projects to Final Cut Pro X or other editing apps. I continue to use FCE myself and am completely satisfied with its functionality.

Regarding your question about learning FCE, I suggest Izzy Video FCE tutorials. All the tutorials are free to watch on his website, or for $47USD you can download all the lessons to your Mac. They are pretty good. The FCE manual is more of a reference work than something you could learn FCE from. Lynda.com also has an FCE tutorial video but you have to pay for it and I think Izzy's lessons are better.

May 2, 2015 9:47 AM in response to MartinR

A slight clarification to my previous reply ...

There is an upgrade path from Final Cut Express to Final Cut Pro 7 (part of Final Cut Studio) as you can simply open FCE projects in FCP7 and then save them as FCP7 projects. However, since FCP7 was discontinued in 2011, upgrading projects from FCE to FCP7 would only be an upgrade to another discontinued product. If you are interested in this, copies of Final Cut Studio are still on the market through various third-party sellers - mostly used copies, but sometimes new copies become available. Apple no longer sells Final Cut Pro Studio.

There is also a migration path from FCP7 to Final Cut Pro X. It's a third-party app called 7toX for Final Cut Pro. So, technically speaking, it would be possible to migrate an FCE project to FCP7 and then use 7toX to transfer the FCP7 project to FCP-X. But I think that's a long workaround with pitfalls that may not be satisfactory.

Finally using FCE 4.01 :-) what's the upgrade path?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.