Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've just upgraded to OS X 10.10.3 and I am trying to convert my photo library to photo but it tells me that I don't have enough disk space. I don't have megabyte of spare external storage to temporarily move my whole library. Is there a way to roll

I've just upgraded to OS X 10.10.3 and I am trying to convert my photo library to photo but it tells me that I don't have enough disk space. I don't have megabyte of spare external storage to temporarily move my whole library. Is there a way to roll back the software update so I can continue using Photo while I figure out my storage issue for the upgrade?

iPhoto '11, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 10:42 PM

1. How much free space on your start up disk?

2. Just launch iPhoto. Done.

5 replies

Apr 29, 2015 11:45 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for helping Terence, I managed to miss out some words on my question, user error on on my first post, apologies! So to clarify, I tried linking my iPhoto library to Photo but as it starts to upload I get an error message telling me I need 22GB of space to complete this action. However I have only 17GB of free space on my MacBook Pro. I considered moving my whole iPhoto library to my external hard drive (WD passport which I also use as back up) but that library is around 220GB and I don't have that much free disk space on my hard drive. I tried to open iPhoto but that is no longer compatible with the OS X Yosemite 10.10.3. I am concerned that I could lose some of my iPhoto library and would ideally like to roll back to the old software so I can use iPhoto to move some of my photos and videos to external hard drive freeing up some space on my MacBook.

I am happy to move to the new Photos as I like the look of it but wish I had known there was this extra capacity requirement before upgrading! Any help suggestions much appreciated. Thanks

Apr 30, 2015 12:23 AM in response to Jazzejeff

Upgrade iPhoto:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

May 4, 2015 2:38 PM in response to Jazzejeff

Terenve Devlin, checked purchases and iPhoto wasn't in them (neither in hidden purchases) The iPhoto icon is greyed out under applications and when I click on it a message pops up stating In order to open “iPhoto”, you need to update to the latest version.

When I do this it tells me the app is not available in the UK...

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can solve this issue? I need 22gb of space - which I would ideally like to do perhaps by moving old photos onto a hard drive but I am concious of the problems splitting my iphoto library could have when I finally get photos to start working. Or can I roll back my software update so iPhoto will work?

I've just upgraded to OS X 10.10.3 and I am trying to convert my photo library to photo but it tells me that I don't have enough disk space. I don't have megabyte of spare external storage to temporarily move my whole library. Is there a way to roll

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.