Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted my web browser history not realizing that I needed to revisit a confirmation page I received. Is there a way to restore my deleted safari history?

I accidentally deleted my web browser history not realizing that I needed to revisit a confirmation page that I received. Is there a way to restore my deleted safari history?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 12:48 PM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Meg_rod

First, from the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Remove history items: Manually

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari

Quit Safari.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open. Inside that folder, there should be a file named

History.db (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

History.plist (OS X 10.9.5 or earlier)

Move that file to the Desktop.

Restore the file with that name from a backup that predates the changes. If you back up with Time Machine, enter it and scroll back to a snapshot of the open folder.

When you relaunch Safari, the old history should appear. When you're done with it, you can revert the change by replacing the history file with the one you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, delete that file.

Revert the change in Safari's preferences to whatever you want it to be. If you leave it on Manually, the history file will grow without limit and may eventually slow down the browser.

Jul 7, 2015 9:32 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have a similar problem. Deleted Safari history on my iPhone which also deleted safari history on my Mac (iCloud I guess?)

Preparing for your suggested procedure I found that the file "~/Library/Safari/History.db" was created on April 11 and is quite large. So I did a quick check with the cat command in Terminal and saw that it has much more entries than I am shown in Safaris history menu.

So, maybe there is a way to convince Safari to show me the rest without involving time machine? Or any program to show "History.db" in a humanly readable way?

I accidentally deleted my web browser history not realizing that I needed to revisit a confirmation page I received. Is there a way to restore my deleted safari history?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.