Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S from Austria in the US

Dear members (please excuse my english it's not the best),

I have a question. My iPhone 5S is unlocked thats what Apple says. I got my iPhone 5S in December 2013 with a contract and a locked version - i had a few problems so Apple sent me a replacement device thru AppleCare+

Now it's unlocked & I tried it with a different Austrian SIM-Card and it actually worked with it - interesting - also Apple says in their systems it shows unlocked.

I got in touch with AT&T & T-Mobile USA today and they were saying I can't use it - they checked my IMEI and both said it's not possible to use - so I called AppleCare again and Apple told me that they have different models like mine is a UK/EUROPE model and that's why it wont work. Do you think I really can't use it then?

iPhone 5S 32GB iOS 8.3

Thank you so much in advance!

J

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 1:24 PM

8 replies

Apr 29, 2015 1:46 PM in response to jo021

The different models statement is correct .

You may well be able to use on GSM carrier in US but only on 3G .or 2G ( GPRS ) if anyone still uses the bandwidth

Using 4G is not likely with a 5S

However the only way to find out is to try it ..................

All this of course depends on the iPhone being genuinely unlocked from any Carrier

Apr 29, 2015 1:50 PM in response to wegras

Hi Wegras,

Thank you so much for your answer - you know if I would know exactly I would sell my iPhone 5S over here and get a new but on the other side I will be there for 1 year so I can't sign a contract anyways. Well Apple says it's unlocked in their systems and it works with other Austrian carriers so I don't really know what to do.

So you say the possibility is 50/50 that I can use it?

What would be your suggestion for me?

Thank you

Apr 29, 2015 1:59 PM in response to jo021

not 4G but should be OK on 2G/3G ....???

If you buy in US you need the iPhone 6 A1586

see this list

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

It is sold for Sprint in US but it is also the model sold in Europe as you can see from the list

the warranty is not International but if you are there a year that would work

However do you want to travel without a phone ??

No-one can really advise you just make you aware of the known facts ............................😉

Apr 29, 2015 2:04 PM in response to wegras

Hi Wegras,

Thank you again for helping me in this situation!

Okay, so I can use my iPhone 5S with AT&T or T-Mobile USA only on 2G&3G?? well I surly think I can live well with that.

I have an super old unlocked iPhone 4 which I can take with me when I leave -

It is just very interesting once I enter my IMEI at the AT&T & T-Mobile website - this statement will show up:

AT&T:

We found some problems with the IMEI number you have entered. There are a number of reasons this can occur. Please ensure the IMEI you entered matches the device. If you continue to encounter problems contact Customer Service at 800.331.0500 for further help.

T-Mobile USA:

We do not recognize the IMEI number you entered. Please try again or contact Customer Care at 1-877-453-1304.

Thats why I'm kinda concerned

wegras wrote:

not 4G but should be OK on 2G/3G ....???

If you buy in US you need the iPhone 6 A1586

see this list

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

It is sold for Sprint in US but it is also the model sold in Europe as you can see from the list

the warranty is not International but if you are there a year that would work

However do you want to travel without a phone ??

May 2, 2015 6:21 AM in response to wegras

wegras wrote:

I suspect it is because the iPhone you have is not a US model

There is no simple answer only way is to try and if it will not work buy a A1586 iPhone 6 ...unlocked direct from Apple only

Thank you wegras,

it seems like somebody is paying me 425€ for my current iPhone 5S 32GB unlocked including AppleCare+ until December 24 2015 - so I think I will sell it for that and buy a iPhone 6 unlocked direct from Apple - taking my dinosaur old iPhone 4 with me (interesting side fact: when I enter the IME from the iPhone 4 i can move on at the AT&T website)

Thanks again

May 3, 2015 1:57 PM in response to wegras

wegras wrote:

You're welcome ,good luck with iPhone and the trip 🙂

I got a much better idea Wegras,

I will sell my iPhone 5S here in Austria and I will just use my old iPhone 4 in the US since there is a new iPhone just in a few months - now I got really the best solution - right? #FirstWorldProblems LOL ;-)

iPhone 5S from Austria in the US

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.