Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting my external WD HD to be recognized or able to format.

My WD External Hard drive is not recognized by my iMac. It will show up in the devices list of Disk Utility but I cannot format it. I believe I can use DiskWarrior to restore files once I've restored, but how can I make it recognizable or format?

The lights are on and I can hear the disk spinning, but I cannot do anything with it on my computer or see it on the desktop or finder, only as a drive in Disk Utility.

iMac, iOS 8.1.2, Time Machine

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 1:16 PM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Ryan Longnecker

I'm getting a bit confused as to what is going on and what you wish to accomplish. You want to run DW and repair files on the external drive? If that is the case, simply install DW on your internal and run it from there on the external.

Depending on the DW version, several of them have not been a bootable option or, if they actually were, not really usable as there was no easy way to reboot from your internal after having used DW.

Another way to use it is to install it and then make a fully bootable clone on an external drive/partition; you can then boot from that and run DW on the internal (or any other drive you may have).

Getting my external WD HD to be recognized or able to format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.