Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive Issues (Both new and old)

I'm trapped in a HDD nightmare with my MacBook Pro mid-2012.

I updated to Yosemite 10.10.3 (with the Photos app). A couple of days after the update, I was watching a movie on my TV screen via HDMI. In the middle of the movie I removed the HDMI cable from the MacBook Pro and everything freezes. I forced shut down (Note: My HDD was encrypted). After I forced shut down, I tried to turn on and the loading screen would never stop loading - like, 14 hours stuck with the progress bar. Since I have backups, I decided to access DU and format my HDD. I tried everything. For real. Every command line I could type on Terminal to format, repair, erase and/or partition. I read almost every issue-related questions on the forums and stack exchange groups for a week (even posted my issue here: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/181090/erasing-and-partitioning-hard-dr ive-from-internet-recovery?noredirect=1#comment215695_181090).

So, I decided that it was a HDD failure and bought a new one.

I bought the Seagate 1TB SSHD Hybrid - ST1000LM014. Installed the new fresh disk and guess what? All those same problems again. I´m not able to restore from Time Machine because it doesn't recognize the disk in the restore page. But the disk is recognized in the DU. When I try to erase or partition the new SSHD, the same old errors: File system formatter failed. Yes, I tired GUID Partition Table, all of the security options, etc. 😟

Please. Any light that you can throw at this issue, I'll be very grateful for. BTW, the new SSHD is recognized and the SMART Status says: Verified.

Any ideas on *** is going on?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), i7 8GB RAM, late-2012 13'' screen.

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 1:47 PM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2015 2:54 PM in response to HMohr

More additional info:

Booted from my external HDD which contains Time Machine Backups. In Utilities I opened Terminal and typed:

-bash-3.2# diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ SSHD_1TB /dev/disk0

Started erase on disk0

Unmounting disk

Creating the partition map

Waiting for the disks to reappear

Formatting disk0s2 as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with name SSHD_1TB

newfs_hfs: WriteBuffer: pwrite(3, 0x1071ea000, 1048576, 0): Input/output error

newfs_hfs: write (sector 0): Invalid argument

Mounting disk

Could not mount disk0s2 with name (null) after erase

Error: -69832: File system formatter failed

😕

May 5, 2015 8:19 PM in response to HMohr

Apple does not participate here: Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

FWIW you did everything reasonable and more. A Genius Bar visit is justified to diagnose what may be a hardware problem, possibly related to removing the HDMI cable – which should not have caused any damage.

Genius Bar Reservations

You might try running Apple Hardware Test but if it concludes "no trouble found" that's all it means. It doesn't mean trouble doesn't exist. Anything other than a definitive report of a specific failure is not conclusive.

Hard Drive Issues (Both new and old)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.