Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(System Image Utility error 2)

I keep getting this error when trying to upload to my Mac server (Yosemite) Any fixes?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2017 4:17 PM

I have this problem with trying to create a NetRestore image through System Image Utility as well. After some trial and error, I've managed to get past by removing the compatibility for the below items;

• MacBook
  • MacBook Air
  • MacBook Pro

While this worked for my specific problem, I believe there is a bug in the System Image Utility application where it fails to resolve which platforms are compatible, given a specific Image.

Both Source and Host are 10.12.4 at the time of testing. The source was on 'Target Disk Mode'.

I get no information other than "error 2".

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2017 4:17 PM in response to Bryan505

I have this problem with trying to create a NetRestore image through System Image Utility as well. After some trial and error, I've managed to get past by removing the compatibility for the below items;

• MacBook
  • MacBook Air
  • MacBook Pro

While this worked for my specific problem, I believe there is a bug in the System Image Utility application where it fails to resolve which platforms are compatible, given a specific Image.

Both Source and Host are 10.12.4 at the time of testing. The source was on 'Target Disk Mode'.

I get no information other than "error 2".

Apr 30, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Bryan505

Bryan505 wrote:

Image Creation Failed. The operation couldn't be completed. (System Image Utility error 2.) I am using System Image Utility and cannot upload a image to the mac server. I've successfully done this before with Yosemite.

Creating an image, and uploading it to the server, are two completely different things... Unless you are trying to create the image on a volume mounted from your server? I didn't think SIU allowed that. Even if it does, you shouldn't create them that way. It's much faster to build the image locally, and copy the completed image to your server.

"error 2" is basically a useless error that comes back from the script execution phase of the image creation process. It means "something went wrong." Set the log level, in SIU preferences, to verbose (Yosemite) or debug (Mavericks or earlier) to have the script phase output dumped into the log.

(System Image Utility error 2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.