Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Comparable external monitor

What is the closest third party monitor I could purchase to get the same cosmetic look and hardware specifications for the 5k display that comes with the new iMacs? I absolutely love the new 27" iMacs but unfortunately can't have a desktop. I'll be purchasing a new MacBook in the future. I understand that Apple sells just the monitor but my understanding is that they are old and outdated technolog.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 5:02 PM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2015 12:49 PM in response to Derek Engel

If you buy any monitor that is 5K you need to be sure your Mac will support that resolution. Any 5K monitor will cost about the same as the new 5K iMac. The Thunderbolt Display has a very good picture. The USB ports on the back are the older USB2 but the rest of the monitor is very good. Also remember that the TBD has speakers and built in camera if that is important for you.

Apr 30, 2015 2:34 PM in response to tbirdvet

I was asking for a third party comparable monitor to the one that comes with the iMac. The thunderbolt monitors that are available to purchase from Apple have not been updated in years. Again, I'm looking for a third party monitor that looks the same, and has the same hardware specifications that the new iMacs ship with. Perhaps there are no third party monitors that match perfectly. In the case, I'm looking for the closest match.

Comparable external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.