Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Utility says a later version is installed & won't install

I don't have AirPort Utility installed on my HP laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. It worked fine until about 4 months ago when it just stopped working. I uninstalled APU and have never been able to install it again. When it began returning with the message that a later version was installed (although what I was trying to install WAS the latest version), I began uninstalling Apple products trying to find where the computer was getting the information that a version of APU was installed. I've deleted common files under Apple, but the only occurrence of AirPort Utility is the install file I downloaded.

In the meantime, I have a Time Capsule, 2nd gen., that I can't access at all. Irreplaceable photos and photos of my artwork from 20 years ago - all on the drive. The network cable connecting it to the router is good, because I've swapped it out. When I plug the TC in, I get one green light flash on the front, and then the light flashes amber - not fast; it's slow & steady. I've tried connecting it to my laptop with the network cable. Nothing. I've connected it to my laptop with a USB cable. Nothing. I've been told I don't need the AirPort Utility to access the Time Capsule, but I haven't been able to find a solution without it.

1TB TimeCapsule-OTHER, Windows 7, 64 bit

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 5:56 PM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2015 7:15 PM in response to JSchenck1946

Certainly a lot easier on a Mac than a PC.. if you have access to a Mac or a friend has a Mac.. take a USB drive with you and get your friend to copy the files to a FAT32 formatted drive.

Otherwise try again on the PC.

Please turn off the firewall and make sure the PC says it is located at home.. not work or public.

Then with the ethernet connected to the TC.. does the PC get an IP.. if so lets say it is default 10.0.1.1

Then in windows explorer just type that IP in the address bar.. \\10.0.1.1

No luck then then open a command window.. and type ipconfig /all

Locate the ethernet and find the gateway address.. assuming it is different to the above try that..

If none of those work and the ethernet in the computer is correctly set to auto IP.. then do a factory reset of the TC.

No files are lost and it will return to 10.0.1.1

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Make double sure your computer should now get IP 10.0.1.x most likely it will get x=2

Now try again with the windows explorer.

Please do not use apple gear for important files stored that you need on your PC.. keep them on a NAS or on a USB drive natively formatted NTFS plugged into your PC.

Apr 30, 2015 4:20 PM in response to JSchenck1946

My PC is now .3. When I try \\10,0.0.3, I get "file not found."

If the pc is .3 then your command is wrong..

You are not connecting to the TC .. you are connecting to your own computer.

You must reset the TC to factory.. it will then take the IP 10.0.1.1 (not what you are using).

The computer will be 10.0.1.2 although it can be another IP.

Simply type \\10.0.1.1 into windows explorer..

You do this in complete isolation.. The TC LAN port plugged into the Computer ethernet port.. No wireless or other connections.

It is purely to recover the files not to get internet or other connections.

AirPort Utility says a later version is installed & won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.