Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CHarging for 8 hours?

Just got the new Macbook 12 inch. sales rep told me to use up its batteries and charge it for at least 8 hours.

Is this necessary?

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 1:22 AM

No. Plug it in and use it while it is charging, or just plug it in and charge it. Do not run the battery down.

Cheers,

GB

8 replies

Apr 30, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Jann J

Most of the sales representatives at Apple don’t know themselves what they are saying. Never listen to them without confirming.

There is absolutely no need to run down the battery and charge it for 8 hours. The new Li-ion batteries don’t require any calibration like the older macbook batteries. Plug it directly and keep using it as the battery is being charged simultaneously.

You should never ever use up your entire battery and let it go in Deep discharge state. Its very very bad for the battery. Always charge it up to the level of 100% keeping it connected to the AC power. There is no need to disconnect it from the power source after fully charged because the battery won’t overcharge.

You should only run down / drain the battery to the level of 50 - 60% of the total charge only Once or Twice a Month.

Make sure that you disconnect the macbook from the power source when not in use like when in sleep or shutdown.

Hope this helps.....

Apr 30, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Jann J

Oh well.....

You are good to go, but just keep that battery charged and do not let it run down. You will get a warning when it is getting low.

Here's an Apple article on Battery life and how to best extend it:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#macbook

I hook my Mac up to the charger every night before I go to bed, and then I'm able to use it for the day without being "hooked up". Even if it is at 100%, I hook it up for a re-charge at night. Some days when I'm using it a lot and working late, I'll have to plug it in for the last hour or so of work, then I just leave it plugged in to complete the re-charge until the morning.

Best of luck with your new Mac!

Cheers,

GB

CHarging for 8 hours?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.