Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch slow with problems

So I got my iPod touch (fifth-generation, 64GB) back in 2013. I dropped it in water, so I traded it in at an Apple Store for a new iPod touch. Ever since updating the iPod to iOS 8, it's been having multiple problems, including: General unresponsiveness for up to 30 seconds; crashing, failing to properly execute basic animations, and lagging when doing pretty much anything; dropped frame rate during animations; random freezing, sometimes up to 10 minutes of it, even when locked, until iPod reboots; excessively long reboot out of previously mentioned freezing, sometimes up to 15 minutes; etc.

Usually when I pick it up, it says that I have to enter the passcode because iPod restarted, and it'll be disconnected from all Wifi. This is a problem, especially if it gets stolen.

Any recommendations for what I can do to stop this? Is this behavior normal for fifth-generation iPod touches? Or am I stuck with it?

iPod touch, Windows 7, iTunes 11

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 8:54 PM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2015 10:35 PM in response to Ulti737fs

Hi,

You can try a reset. Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Usually when I pick it up, it says that I have to enter the passcode because iPod restarted, and it'll be disconnected from all Wifi. This is a problem, especially if it gets stolen.

Not sure if you mean you do not want to have a passcode. Normally you are asked for a passcode when you turn it on or if auto lock time has expired and it goes into autolock. You can change these settings in Settings > General.

You could also try Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings.

Apr 30, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Cunnla

I'm sorry if I was too unclear, but about the whole passcode thing, I basically meant that while the iPod was sleeping (like, sitting on the desk doing nothing), it would freeze and restart out of nowhere. Then, when I came to use it, it would give the message that it had restarted and wants my passcode. That message is how I know it keeps restarting, and it happens frequently. Also, after restarting and before entering a passcode to unlock it, it won't connect to the Internet. If the iPod was stolen, it would probably crash and restart and not be able to connect to the Internet to be tracked on Find My iPhone.

Also, I've tried restarting and resetting before, but the problems continue.

Apr 30, 2015 11:13 AM in response to Ulti737fs

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

If still problem, make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

iPod touch slow with problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.