Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final video pixelated after compression

Hello,

I am sort of new to this but seemed to have found a system that works, but for some reason my latest video is pixelated after compression for vimeo.

I am following the exact same steps as I do for all of my videos and I have never had a problem.

I have shot it on a Canon 5D mark III / 1920X180 / 25FPS

I convert it to apple pro res 422 for progressive material

I drag it into final cut

I export it as quicktime file

I then drag into compressor and use the vimeo recommended settings that I use on all of my videos

final video is very pixelated

I will attach the process in screen shots below and hopefully someone can point out where I am going wrong.

Thank you!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 11:13 PM

1 reply

Apr 30, 2015 12:40 AM in response to Jamieson259

It is kind of hard to tell what is going on from your screen shots, but a couple of things:

It's been a while since I used that version of Compressor, but you are resizing (correctly) the 1080 source to 720, and I believe there are settings for "Best" available to make the resize as high quality as possible.

The 5 Mbits data rate seems low to me. The Vimeo guidelines specify a rate between 5 and 10 Mbits for 720p, I'd set it to average at 8 and peak at 10. The scene with the ocean is a really tough scene to compress, because there is so much motion, throughout the frame, that it might be lowing the quality there to keep to the 5Mbits target.

Compression works by finding areas of the image where there is little or no difference from frame to frame - so a locked off shot of a person giving a speech at a lectern is much easier to compress than a scene with an ocean where there is movement and change on a frame by frame basis.

MtD

Final video pixelated after compression

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.