Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reception significantly worse when connected to charger

Hello,

I just wanted to ask if this is "by design" (i.e., due to technical constraints) or might be a problem with my hardware.

Whenever I connect my phone to the charger (original cable, original charger), cellular reception gets SIGNIFICANTLY worse, often to the point of being useless (i.e., EDGE). This is coming from a 2 or 3 dot LTE or 3G signal with perfect 20 MBit/s speeds.

Is this a hardware fault, or is this "normal" due to, i.e., the charger cable/electronics interfering with the tiny currents from the antenna?

Thanks

(edit: this happens in all outlets, all houses and all countries I've tried)

iPhone 5s, null

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 11:49 PM

1 reply

Sep 3, 2015 5:28 AM in response to instinctive31337

Hello,

It's exactly the same with my iPhone 6.

Just plugging the cable into the phone is enough to reduce the cellular reception significantly.

This happens also if the charger is not even connected to the cable and so not connected to an electrical outlet.

I too tried several cables in several places. Makes no difference.

If this is "by design" it has to be examined wether it is caused by the lightning cable or by the phone itself.

Anyway it is really annoying!

Reception significantly worse when connected to charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.