Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

facetime will not work since downloading ios8.3

I downloaded IOS 8.3 and since then I cannot log into Facetime, It will not accept my password. Apple support have initially been interested but have now disappeared and will not answer email or the phone. Cannot download any apps again because I cannot get any acceptance of my password.

Is this a know problem`?

iPad 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 2:03 AM

22 replies

Apr 30, 2015 8:27 AM in response to 2012geofff

Not being able to sogn in to FaceTime and iMessage is an ongoing problem. There are a lot of posts here about it and one really big one imessage and Facetime sign in activation error iPad ios8.1.2

I your case, it might be a different problem. The rest of us had no problem signing in at the App Store or iTunes.

Can you sin in anywhere? Are you getting an error message? Is it possible the password you are using is incorrect?

Apr 30, 2015 9:43 AM in response to 'shana

Many thanks Shana,

I have just received an email from "the support team" telling me that my ID has been reinstated.

As a test I have just managed to download an app. Something is now working.

As for Facetime it works on my laptop but it will not work on my Ipad after uploading 8.3. It was fine before the download.

You may be interested to know that Apple support told me how to wipe my ipad and then how to reload 8.3.

We then tested facetime and it worked using my ID in Icloud but not my normal me.com ID.

We then reloaded my apps and the pad will not operate facetime in either icloud or me.com.

The support team then said that they are taking the problem up with the engineers but since then I have only received the above mentioned email.

I'm a total novice with this stuff and purchased apple after loads of problems with Microsoft.

Thanks for you note.

Rgs

Geoff

Apr 30, 2015 10:14 AM in response to 2012geofff

When it happened to me I went to the Apple Store where they backed my iPad up to the cloud and did a wipe and restore. Didn't help. Came home, did it myself that night agin. No help. Called AppleCare and they tried again and passed me to a senior tech who walked me thru backing it up to itunes and wiping and even when restored as new it wouldn't let me sign in to FaceTime or iMessage. Of course my backups were all done after it quit accepting my ID and Apple doesn't actually restore the FaceTime and iMessage apps.

It has to be at least partially an AppleID problem. Because while I couldn't sign in on any device, my husband could sign in on his iPod Touch but not my ipad and my friend could sign in on everything.

The engineers had my senior tech put my account into test mode. It stayed in test mode over a week while they supposedly worked on it. One night I tried and it was working and has been working ever since. I don't know how or why. More explanations are in the link I posted above. AppleCare won't respond to my emails or calls anymore about this problem so I never found out why it started working. I pulled my account out of test mode by changing my password and security questions since Apple asked for that when they put it into test mode.

One thing that has helped other people (and may have helped me but it could be coincidence) is getting the time zone and time correct. I'm not sure if it will help you since you have a problem with your ID on all devices.

May 1, 2015 1:36 AM in response to 'shana

Dear Shana

Thanks for your note. The very same thing is happening to me.

Apple have followed the same process as they did for you but Facetime is still not working.

AND

As happened to you apple support are not responding to emails or phone calls on this subject. They now will not recognize the job number they gave me when I contact them to start the process again.

This is perhaps the most annoying aspect. Apple support HUH.

I will keep it going and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to contact me.

Rgs

Geoff

May 2, 2015 1:26 AM in response to 'shana

Thanks for your note.

The frustration is that the "support team" will have nothing to do with me. We live miles from one of the shops but next time we go to the big city I will take the pad. Your comment just confirms that Apple is not keeping in touch with it's customers. Steve Jobs will be turning in his grave.

I will keep emailing them but I am sure they have a delete instruction on there system that activates as soon as my name comes up.

Rgs

Geoff

May 2, 2015 11:44 AM in response to 2012geofff

I think the support team has no good answers so they aren't getting back to people. I know it took over a month between the time I first called in and it started working. And even then it was another week before I got my last call from my tech person saying the engineers asked him to call and check on my situation.

I think I was among the first to call in about this because I did get a lot of telephone calls and a direct number to call my senior tech. I didn't call to ask about updates, they don't actually know anything they just do what the engineers ask them. Customers who have had this problem come up more recently seem to have the experience you're having.

Plus, my tech rarely responded to email - he didn't even read the email that I sent when it started working again.

They have very nice tech support people but if it's beyond wiping and restoring the iPad, they seem to flounder around. I think that's why they are not getting back to you or other people - they don't know what else to tell you but wait.

Apple Just Works ... right?

This has been my first experience with iOS and AppleCare. I was very very surprised. I kept hearing how Apple tech support is the best and while they are nice, they're not the best.

May 3, 2015 1:25 AM in response to 'shana

Hi Shana,

You are as disillusioned with Apple as me.

I contacted them again yesterday and spoke to yet another "senior support person" and got yet another ticket number. That is 3 so far.

He hinted that the problem is somehow related to the watch also that the problem must be sorted individually and that a "number" of people have the problem.

I also received a customer review request a " how did we do" from Apple. I wonder how I should reply?

We have a family living in lots of places around Europe and not having FaceTime means phone calls and no pictures. Those still on IOS8.2 are OK.

This is the last time I down load an update as soon as it is issued. I will wait until the bugs have been sorted. Like 6 months.

Rgs
Geoff

May 3, 2015 7:33 AM in response to 2012geofff

It feels like they are fixing AppleIDs one at a time. I've never heard of anything so crazy and I've done software tech support. And I never even imagined it's related to the watch.

Mine stopped working sometime after I downloaded 8.2. Like a day or so I think, can't remember. I have 8.3 now because tech guy thought it would help. I didn't see how it could since they didn't know what was causing the problem.

So frustrating. You can tell by reading this forum that a number of people have this problem. If you look back, every update causes a group of people grief with FaceTime and iMessage. Not the same people as far as I can tell.

I can't believe they sent you a customer review. I haven't gotten one

Good luck!

May 3, 2015 10:45 AM in response to 2012geofff

I am having the exact same problem on my Ipad Mini 3 after upgrading to iOS 8.3. Extremely disappointed since I am considering switching from Android to Apple. I have tried every fix listed on every forum available, to no avail. I have to be honest--after this frustration and not being able to get any assistance, the Apple "magic" at this point is simply not there. I would really appreciate someone telling me that this is just a temporary thing, and it doesn't happen often, and that Apple is worth it. I simply never had a problem with Android, but I want to give Apple a chance.

May 3, 2015 11:30 AM in response to rockys57

Unfortunately I can't tell you that.

Mine did start working but I couldn't tell you if it was something the engineers did or something I did or some combo of the above.

The only real solution if you have the AppleID problem is to call AppleCare and get bumped up the ladder and get a case number. And wait. Some people have gotten it to work making sure their time zone etc was correct, but that was one of the solutions to a different problem that resulted in not being able to sign in.

My husband got me the iPad over an Android tablet because Apple Just Works. I think the people who have lots of Apple stuff are still happy because older AppleIDs aren't having this problem but those of us new to Apple are all disillusioned.

May 4, 2015 1:27 AM in response to rockys57

Dear Rockys57

Yep it's all very frustrating.

I am a gray haired old bloke but use FaceTime to keep in touch with a scattered family.

Shana got it dead right the standard apple support people only know how to fix the standard problems. It seems the problem we have has to go to the "engineers". The other aspect is that the senior people just disappear and never- never get back to you.

The rest of my family are all Apple users but agree with Shana that new Apple (post Steve Jobs) is not a patch on Old Apple.

I am being a pest to them and repeatedly contacting Apple support in an effort to get my problem fixed.

I don't know what else to do apparently only the "engineers " can fix it.

Sorry not to be more help.

Rgs

Geoff

May 4, 2015 8:17 AM in response to 2012geofff

'Shana,and Geoff,

I called Apple Support last night, and I did in fact hear the word "engineer." I was told it was not a hardware or a software problem, just an issue that many people have been having. They told me one of their engineers will be calling me back in one to two days. I will wait and see if they can resolve it. While I don't know how many people are having this issue, they did escalate me very quickly. I will keep you posted.

May 4, 2015 10:09 AM in response to 2012geofff

AT least you know they haven't forgotten about you. That's pretty much what they told me too. I really think at this point they are fixing AppleIDs one at a time. Otherwise when mine started working everyone's should have. Although I don't actually know what they did in my case. I'm not sure they know.

i Have this vision of a bunch of engineers all working on this individually and not communicating with each other.

facetime will not work since downloading ios8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.