Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac crashes every time I connect to broadband?

i Have a iMac OS X version 10.6.8 It works absolutely fine normally, at home I use it connected to our BT home hub and extension... No problems. However I have now moved it to my office where I have a Plusnet router. My iPhone, iPad and Newer iMac all work fine off this connection. But as soon as I connect this iMac to the broadband it crashes... i.e the circle loading icon comes up and I can't open any programmes and end up having to manually turn it off and on. I've tried everything, like restarting, forgetting the network, disconnecting and reconnecting the router, I've been on the phone to Plusnet for hours to no avail, run two virus software scans (avast and Sophos) I've tried doing software update sect. It works fine when it's not connected but as soon as it does, it's game over!

IS there anything I can do to resolve this? All of my work is on this Mac so I need to use it!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 4:04 AM

3 replies

Jun 3, 2015 3:43 AM in response to Phoebe2203

I have exactly the same problem having changed from BT to Plusnet last week-with both a MacBook pro and a 2007 mac mini (both on fully updated 10.6.8).

Shortly after switching on, both computers would freeze with 'spinning ball' and only recourse is the off switch.

Eventually wiped disks and installed new 10.6.8 on the mini - same problem.

"Solved" problem by unplugging ethernet AND switching off airport - now stable (if not much use).

Reconnecting either brings back the problem.

On the macbook pro I upgraded to Yosemite which solved the problem - but the Mac mini is too old (and still serves as a great media player).

If anyone has any ideas of a proper fix would be much appreciated.

Jun 3, 2015 12:35 PM in response to RJW101

Further to above,

Thanks to Sanditude on another thread MacBook Pro (5,4 Model) freezing forever upon connecting New Router., problem is due to ancient design of PlusNet modem and inability to cope with IPv6.

His solution works for me:

=> First ensure that your Plusnet Router is Switched off (or) ensure your Mac is not set to auto-connect to the Plusnet Router / Disconnect its Ethernet cable.

=> Go to System Preferences -> Network -> ensure 'Airport' is selected from the List Area -> Advanced... -> Tab: TCP/IP -> Check for the value for 'Configure IPv6': You may have the default value ('Automatically') selected. Just select 'Off' and press 'OK'.

=> To be on the safer side, do the same after selecting 'Ethernet' from the List area too (Advanced... -> Tab: TCP/IP), especially if you want Internet using the supplied Ethernet cable.

iMac crashes every time I connect to broadband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.