Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Workout app and MapMyRun Distances Are Inconsistent

I have been tracking my runs with the Workout App, and the distance/pace/calorie calculations seem to be much different from those calculated by MapMyRun (and other distance tracking devices as well). The Workout app Will consistently underestimate the distance of my run (3.5 miles versus 4 miles respectively). I was curious to see if anyone else had the same problem. I have carried my iPhone with me on all my runs.

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 6:59 AM

Same here. Just took my watch (with phone) for first time for run this morning. Had previously used a Garmin watch. Ran the same course/path that consistently was always 7.0 miles on the Garmin (and verified mapping on my computer the path in Google maps). This morning, I set watch for 7.0 mile goal to run same path. Had to actually run 7.75 (according to Garmin watch my daughter was wearing while with me) to get to 7 miles. Wish I could see a visual map of where the phone/watch THOUGHT I was. So far, not happy. I know it's not the watch. It's the phone since that's where the GPS is coming from. Wonder if I need to return my phone. (6+)?

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 6:59 AM in response to law826

Same here. Just took my watch (with phone) for first time for run this morning. Had previously used a Garmin watch. Ran the same course/path that consistently was always 7.0 miles on the Garmin (and verified mapping on my computer the path in Google maps). This morning, I set watch for 7.0 mile goal to run same path. Had to actually run 7.75 (according to Garmin watch my daughter was wearing while with me) to get to 7 miles. Wish I could see a visual map of where the phone/watch THOUGHT I was. So far, not happy. I know it's not the watch. It's the phone since that's where the GPS is coming from. Wonder if I need to return my phone. (6+)?

May 4, 2015 11:38 AM in response to d.giese

Must be a software thing with the app on the phone. I used MapMyFitness today and got accurate results. GPS is feeding from same phone. Health app showed much lower mileage than MapMyFitness. Weird, but it seems apparent that Apple is using a different algorithm to error correct (if it uses any) the mileage/distance. Seems weird that a 3rd Party app gets it right on the same equipment.

May 9, 2015 7:31 AM in response to ibbird00

My problem may have been I was trying to get accurate GPS readings in a very hilly and tree covered area. i guess the GPS receiver in my Garmin watch is more sophisticated than the iPhone's because it didn't have the accuracy issues in the same environment.

But, I followed the instructions this morning and ran with Apple Watch and iPhone on flat track today for 20+ minutes To calibrate. 30 minute walk then a 20 minute run. Distance was accurate in both. So, I'm happy now. Have to accept that the phone isn't a dedicated GPS unit and has its limitation.

Still dont know why another app (MapMyRun) can be accurate in the hilly area with the trees on the same exact piece of hardware. Has to be a software algorithm.

May 10, 2015 4:48 AM in response to Brad Jordan2

Cause watch isn't using GPS to calculate your distance. Its using GPS to help the accelerometer better hone your stride length (as part of steps calc) and calculate distance covered this way. Given most of us our not professional runners, my guess is stride length varies run to run so I would guess it probably takes more like 3-5 runs to have a good approximation of your stride length at various speeds. But in the end, it will be step-based distance, not GPS based distance.

FWIW, my first outdoor run and walk were off by about 15% from what Runkeeper/Runmeter told me. After two additional runs and a handful of walks, from my last outdoor run in NYC park (so elevation changes and not best location for GPS):

RK: 4.31 miles

RM: 4.29 miles

AW: 4.20 miles

Seems to be getting closer and closer. Be interested to see how close it gets after 10+ runs. But bigger test would be running without the phone. Perhaps I will try that same route again this way to see.

May 11, 2015 5:08 AM in response to chuck_3rd

I have tried these instructions, but unfortunately, the problem is still there. I have had well more than 20 minutes of calibration time with the phone, while running on flat surfaces, which seems to be the case with several others who have replied to this thread. If it is true according to dhy8386's below that calibration could take much longer (10+ sessions), it seems that the calibration user instructions and expectations should be changed. Otherwise, it seems that there may be a bug in the algorithm.

May 14, 2015 4:22 AM in response to law826

I had the same issue on 2 different watches (1 Apple Watch Sport, 1 Apple Watch) using 2 different iPhones (5s and 6).

What I saw after several tests is that if I carry my iPhone with me and the iPhone sits in a waist belt (usually in a horizontal position) either in front or in the back of your body, the Workout app would come out around 20% short with the Outdoor Runing profile.

However if I carry the iPhone in my Hand or in an arm pocket on the same arm as the watch (in vertical position), the distance would be measured correctly and very precise.

Can anyone try and confirm this? Where do you carry your iPhone during your outdoor running workouts and is it carried horizontally or vertically?

Maybe we can further narrow this down if others can reproduce this as well.

By the way, the calibration process did not help with this at all. The watch correctly measures distance while walking or cycling as well, it's just running with the iPhone in horizontal position around the waist where the Workout app is completely wrong about the distance.

May 14, 2015 5:49 AM in response to Phiolin

Just before I saw your post, I had figured this out. What I equated to being running on a flat open surface as being the solution to the inaccuracies, it actually was where/how I carried my iPhone. Just happened that when I tried it out on an open track and got the most accurate (to the meter) results I was hand carrying my phone in a vertical position. Did both a walk and run (separately) and each were very accurate.

The next day, I went running back to my regular route and again I was off 10-20%. Difference? I had my phone in a waist pack horizontal against the small of my back. Was about to take back the watch/phone to see if phone was a problem when I tried halfway through the run to stop and start a new run with my phone in hand. Guess what? Back to spot-on accuracy for the run.

So, looks like you're on to something. Seems weird that the phone has to be in some certain orientation to receive GPS signals accurately but at least I found I could get accurate results.

Obviously, this thing is not going to be as good at distance accuracy as a dedicated GPS fitness watch which is designed specifically for that. Although, I have to believe a 2nd or 3rd generation Apple Watch will have its own GPS. Oh, the downside of being an early adopter. BUT, I still love my watch. Overall, it is an amazing piece of technology just disappointing in this area right now.

May 14, 2015 12:02 PM in response to law826

I always used Map my Run when walking/jogging and bike riding. Have been using the Workout App since getting the Watch but threads like these made me want to test them against each other.

Well unfortunately i started the Workout App and forgot to start May My Run. I did start it and after finishing my walk, I deducted the begining amount from the Workout total (3.35 - 1.58 miles) 1.77 and compared it to Map My Run (1.80). Not exact but pretty close for my purposes.

May 14, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Brad Jordan2

The phone receives GPS signals just fine in a horizontal orientation. I use it all the time with the RunKeeper app, and it's quite accurate. But it sounds like maybe this messes up the way the info is interpreted by the Apple Watch? Weird. For what it's worth, I always have my phone horizontal in a waist pack for my runs, and I'm having the same problem as others with 10-20% of my distance getting dropped (even though RunKeeper on the iPhone is tracking everything accurately at the same time).

May 14, 2015 10:24 PM in response to Brad Jordan2

I don't think that it is a GPS issue, otherwise all the other running apps would have wrong data as well.

My assumption is, the phone motion sensor is somehow being used by the watch or compared to the watch motion sensor. Keeping the phone either horizontally or close to your body on the waist is probably messing with this process, therefore causing issues with the distance tracking. May even be related to that calibration service running on the phone (in location services). Maybe it's worth turning the service off and giving it another try - will test that next time.

Workout app and MapMyRun Distances Are Inconsistent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.