Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

W97M/Generic spyware that will actually delete it, or any one knows how to manual remove it, please help? Macbook pro, late 2011

Can please anyone help? I have 2 files detected with AVG for mac, but does not delete them, does anyone know if bit defender will? or any other app? or how to manual remove this bug from my macbook pro late 2011 Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), boot/turning on

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 6:22 AM

14 replies

May 4, 2015 8:48 AM in response to Csound1

Thank you! Csound1

I do understand it will not do anything since it is an old malware or trojan? Intended to get windows OS. So I get rid of AVG for Mac then do you actually recommend to have an AV installed in OS X? I keep reading there is and have been vulnerabilities in OS X for sometime now, the last was today here is the articule, your advise will be greatly appreciated. See art http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-macs-get-viruses/

What do you think about Bit Defender? Download from app store is available

May 4, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Csound1

I will read up, I have read in this site before, but I will pay closer attention, any other sites you would recommend reading on?

Thanks for your time Csound1 is appreciated.

One more question if you would... How if the bug is in my external HD and this is where I direct back ups with time machine?

Thanks again!

May 4, 2015 9:19 AM in response to fgmanta

It seems to me that Mr. Botezatu isn't much of an expert. He cites one "virus", the Flashback malware. It does depend on how technical you want to get with that example.

1) Flashback did indeed behave exactly like a virus in that it infected a computer without any assistance from the user. But, it only worked if you had Java installed, and it was enabled in your web browser. If you didn't have Java installed or enabled, then a loaded site would pop up a message to try and get you to manually agree to install something. Which is Trojan activity. You have to allow it.

2) Flashback was never an OS X virus. It was a Java exploit. So from that technical aspect, OS X itself has still never been infected with a virus.

The KitM.A backdoor he mentions was spread as a link or attachment in an email. So again, not a virus. It's a Trojan you had to download and install.

Rootpipe isn't malware at all, of any kind. It's a long standing flaw in OS X's underlying Unix code that was just fairly recently discovered.

So once again, an "expert" is throwing the words virus and OS X around as if it means something, when they are, once again, wrong.

May 4, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks Kurt Lang,

It does seem to have some not regular behaviors, such as, yesterday I was doing an on line work and at some point open a "java site" asking me to download it and last week it did change my opening page in safari and firefox to yahoo search, I did fix both and is working fine, but it seems a bug is residing in here. Do you recommend any AV such Bit Defender to actually find and delete this unwanted guests.

Thanks for your time!

May 4, 2015 10:55 AM in response to fgmanta

There's no way for us to tell what you downloaded and installed. All AV software is essentially useless. The only one I'd even consider recommending is the free ClamXav. It may, or may not find whatever was installed. Do you remember what site you were on that asked you to download the file?

Just to note, never, ever download anything a third party web site tells you to install. If a site says you need a Java update, get it only from Oracle. If a site claims you need to update Flash, get it only from Adobe. If a site claims you need a "codec" to view a video or anything else, it's just a flat out lie.

May 5, 2015 12:20 AM in response to fgmanta

fgmanta wrote:

Thank you! Csound1

I keep reading there is and have been vulnerabilities in OS X for sometime now, the last was today here is the articule, your advise will be greatly appreciated. See art http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-macs-get-viruses/

What would you expect an employee of an A-V software vendor to say, "Don't use our product?"

OS X will protect you from all currently known malware as long as you keep it fully up-to-date (so I hope you aren't still running OS X 10.9.2 as it says in your profile) and don't disable the capability.

Adware is a slightly different problem, but you can avoid that by simply reading what you are being told when you install any software and if there is something you don't want, opt-out (uncheck the box).

May 5, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you for your time Mr. Lang

I did get a fishing e-mail, I was doing at the time stuff with the very same company I got the fishing mail so with out thinking I click on a link there and as it was setting the address bar had a ru at the end, so I close the browser, did not click on any thing else or nothing, I actually shut up the machine, si I did not thing I got anything from there but I have questions on my careless action, anyway I do not usually do that, I am careful and always ask if I know the sender of the e-mail if they did indeed send such a thing then I paste the address, but I guess you can't never be to thin.

All I notice it was a java site, so I close it. it seems behavior is somehow back to regular. I thank you for your explanations and time, I appreciate it.

May 5, 2015 8:07 AM in response to fgmanta

Given your description, it's unlikely you have anything to worry about. The attachment was what Csound1 explained; an old Word macro virus that only affects Word. And then only if you have the option on to allow macros to load without checking. The default is to let you know a Word doc contains a macro:

User uploaded file

You then have the option to disallow the macro to load/run, or just not open the document.

It's easy at times to get caught with an email you weren't expecting. Spoofing is very easy to do. Which means the sender name isn't necessarily where the email actually came from. In this case, it probably did, but was caused by a Windows email virus on their end. Typically, these types of viruses send out the same email to everyone on that computer's contact list. On the Mac, that can't happen. The email hits your inbox and stops since the virus can't run on your OS. So no one in your email contact list gets anything forwarded to them.

W97M/Generic spyware that will actually delete it, or any one knows how to manual remove it, please help? Macbook pro, late 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.