Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Battery

Hi Guys,

I've just bought the new Macbook pro and I have a couple of questions regarding the battery.

Do I have to charge it to 100% when I use it the first time like other laptops.

On my iphone, I always let the battery get down to 20% before charging it. If I kept the Macbook plugged in to the charger when I'm using it will it take power from the battery or from the mains. If it takes it from the battery then I'll follow the same procedure as I do with my iphone, let it get down to 20% before giving it a full charge.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 9:59 AM

2 replies

Apr 30, 2015 10:39 AM in response to kkhan94

kkhan94 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I've just bought the new Macbook pro and I have a couple of questions regarding the battery.

On my iphone, I always let the battery get down to 20% before charging it. If I kept the Macbook plugged in to the charger when I'm using it will it take power from the battery or from the mains. If it takes it from the battery then I'll follow the same procedure as I do with my iphone, let it get down to 20% before giving it a full charge.

I would charge it to 100%, although I d not know of any "rule" that says you need to.

As a general rule, use the computer on battery from time to time. There is no reason to let it run down to any particular level.

When it is plugged in and at full charge, it will stay at 100%. I have no clue whether it runs on the battery (which remains charged) or not. In any event, run it from the battery from time to time as I said.

Barry

Apr 30, 2015 10:42 AM in response to kkhan94

kkhan94 wrote:

You don't have to, but doing so does no harm.

If the Mac is connected to the mains, iPhone draws the power from mains.

Keep the computer plugged in whenever possible.

If you keep the computer always plugged in, make sure that at least twice a month

run it on battery until battery charge level drops to about 50-40%.

Please don’t discharge the battery completely. Discharging battery completely will reduce battery health.

For more useful info:

Section: Optimizing Battery Life

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054

Macbook Pro Battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.