Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 8.3 update made my Lightning HDMI adapter useless.

After updating to iOS 8.3, my lightning video out adapter no longer works. I have restarted everything and nothing helps. I am using the

Lightning Digital AV Adapter with a Brookstone mini projector that has always worked fine in the past.

Lightning Digital Adapter will not work with:

IPad Air MD785LL/A

iPhone 6

Any idea how to fix this?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 3:43 PM

I had the same problem with an iPad Air 1 once I upgraded to ios 8.3. Following several suggestions online, I did the following:

1. Via iTunes Store app, I logged out.

2. Settings, General, Reset (all the way at the bottom), Reset all Settings (this doesn't remove any data/apps/etc, it just resets all the iPad settings.

3. Did a Hard Reboot (hold down power and main button until iPad shuts off).

Once I turned it back on, now I could use the iPad via lightning adapter to watch video on a TV.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2015 3:43 PM in response to kglewwe

I had the same problem with an iPad Air 1 once I upgraded to ios 8.3. Following several suggestions online, I did the following:

1. Via iTunes Store app, I logged out.

2. Settings, General, Reset (all the way at the bottom), Reset all Settings (this doesn't remove any data/apps/etc, it just resets all the iPad settings.

3. Did a Hard Reboot (hold down power and main button until iPad shuts off).

Once I turned it back on, now I could use the iPad via lightning adapter to watch video on a TV.

May 6, 2015 4:58 PM in response to kglewwe

I started a support chat session with the Apple iPhone Support website. I explained the issue and spoke to a level two support person. They sent me a replacement Lightning Digital AV Adapter overnight. The new adapter worked. I'm not sure it my old adapter just died for no reason at the exact time i updated to iOS 8.3 or they made some unknown changes to the new adapters. At least I have a working adapter with iOS 8.3 on the iPhone 6 and the iPad Air.

Jul 28, 2015 1:05 PM in response to kglewwe

MIne did the same on iPhone 6 and iPad Air. HDMI cable I brought on vacation worked with MacBook Pro as did the cable in the hotel room. Neither one passed video from the adapter but did pass audio and the device said a display was connected.

Booked local Genius Bar and mine worked with their HDMI cable. Couldn't believe it. Bought the cable and hope that was it.

Adapter could be really picky, eh?

Jul 28, 2015 4:14 PM in response to Eric Seaberg

DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM! I was offered a NEW HDMI adapter at the Apple Store and didn't take it since mine worked there. I did buy an HDMI cable, even though the original I brought on vacation, along with the one already in the hotel room, both worked on my MacBook Pro.

I totally believe there's an issue with how the adapter is outputting its signal since IOS 8 update. Audio passes, in my case, and the iPad sees the external display as being connected, but the HDTV says NO SIGNAL.

Since kglewwe received a new adapter from Apple and it worked, I may go back to the local Apple Store again tomorrow and try to get that replacement they offered.

Thanks for a place to vent...

IOS 8.3 update made my Lightning HDMI adapter useless.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.