Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internal hard drive capacity

I have a mid 2011 iMac. Under "First Aid" in Disk Utility on the left side, Macintosh HD is at the top, then another Macintosh HD is under that. If I click on the 1st Macintosh HD, Type is Logical Volume Group. It shows Capacity 499.25 GB, Used 499.23 and Available is 19 MB. If I click on the 2nd Macintosh HD, Type is Logical Partition. It shows Capacity 498.88 GB, Used 31.78 GB and Available is 467.02 GB. I'm wondering what the difference is between the two HD's and if it means I'm running out of HD space? Thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), mid 2011 iMac

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 9:50 AM

The first Macintosh HD is the disk drive which has a partition on it that includes the majority of the space available on that disk drive.

The second Macintosh HD is the partition where your data is stored.

There being only a small amount of space left on the disk drive is not a problem.

The free space is what is available in the partition. That is what the operating system sees. So in your case with 467.02 GB, you have plenty.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 9:50 AM in response to ihavmsdmit

The first Macintosh HD is the disk drive which has a partition on it that includes the majority of the space available on that disk drive.

The second Macintosh HD is the partition where your data is stored.

There being only a small amount of space left on the disk drive is not a problem.

The free space is what is available in the partition. That is what the operating system sees. So in your case with 467.02 GB, you have plenty.

internal hard drive capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.