Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages app won't finish downloading, I deleted once and started again but stuck again and I can't delete.

My Pages app got stuck updating and I was finally able to delete it through Settings. I did a hard reset and tried to download again but it is stuck again downloading and I can't delete it again. Numbers upgraded just fine.

iPad Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 12:31 PM

TThis problem has been discussed in many threads here. It affects Numbers, Pages, and Keynote. First, delete the incomplete download by using Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage. Look for an app with no text label and an icon that may or may not be complete, click to verify that it is Pages, and delete it. then do a hard reset by holding home and power buttons until the apple icon appears. After the restart you should be able to reinstall the app either by iTunes sync or over the air on App Store. Don't forget the hard reset - it's necessary to clear the junk from the failed update & start fresh.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Kathman55

TThis problem has been discussed in many threads here. It affects Numbers, Pages, and Keynote. First, delete the incomplete download by using Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage. Look for an app with no text label and an icon that may or may not be complete, click to verify that it is Pages, and delete it. then do a hard reset by holding home and power buttons until the apple icon appears. After the restart you should be able to reinstall the app either by iTunes sync or over the air on App Store. Don't forget the hard reset - it's necessary to clear the junk from the failed update & start fresh.

Apr 30, 2015 1:28 PM in response to dustyblueheron47

Thank you for replying. I did delete it yesterday using Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage, then tried to reinstall again through App Store. It is stuck again, showing Waiting, but no longer shows in Settings as an "unnamed" app or modified icon, perhaps because it had been deleted and the reinstall was not complete. All apps are named and recognizable. I also can't delete it on the screen.

Apr 30, 2015 1:38 PM in response to Kathman55

This is annoying, isn't it! There may be another step involved: deleting the app from your library, then redownloading it. I handle this though iTunes on my computer, but the same is possible over the air through App Store. That way, if you delete the old file, you are assured of getting a fresh start with everything. Remember to do everything in the exact order: delete app from library, delete app from phone/iPad using Manage Settings, do the hard reset (yet again!), then try downloading the app again. It took me a couple of times once I had all the steps to get it all together, but eventually it did work, as it seems to have for most people. Personally, I forgot the hard reset after all the deletions and had to start over 😊, but it finally did work after doing the entire sequence. There was something very strange about that update -- I got Numbers and Pages updated fine, but Keynote got stuck for me. For many others, it seems it was also 1 out of the 3 that got stuck. Good luck!

Jun 21, 2015 10:56 PM in response to dustyblueheron47

Hi,

The keynotes, imovie and garage are not downloading properly. I tried to look for it in the Manage Storage but they're not there so I just deleted it in the home screen. I did the hard reset after that then tried downloading them again. Unfortunately, it's still the same. BTW, why are they not appearing in the Manage Storage?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jul 11, 2015 7:47 AM in response to dustyblueheron47

Thanks so much for your help on this issue. It seems to have fixed the problem, at least temporarily. My question to Apple is why. Why do I have to go to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage, manually delete the app, perform a hard reboot, and then reinstall the app? Apple should fix this.

Use to be, when there was an issue Apple would have a fix (or response) almost immediately. Now, it seems all they're interested in are social issues and liberal agendas. As paying customers, we just want our apps, devices and computers to work. We could care less about Apple's stance on this issue or that issue. My dear Apple is now reminding me of what it was like to have a PC. Now, PC has moved from Personal Computer to Political Correctness, and is turning into a Piece of Cr@p. Lol. (Not really. I could never see our family pulling the plug on Apple, even if some things are becoming increasingly frustrating. We will see.) Nevertheless, Apple needs to get back to track. Zoom in a little and get focused on what really matters, products that work. Perhaps, the old cliche used by my Grandma quite often is that they've "gotten to big for their britches." Steve Jobs is dearly missed.

Jul 12, 2015 5:12 PM in response to MarriageToGo

Deleting the app will NOT delete your data stored on iCloud, assuming your iCloud account is currently active and the files you covet are stored there. We just recently performed the steps suggested by dustyblueheron47 and it worked perfectly. We also had to perform these same steps for our Numbers App because it was having the same issue.

Once the app is reinstalled, open it to get started, click on "Use iCloud" (or something like that), then wait for it to sync with the files you have stored within your iCloud account. Just think of iCloud as your main storage hub that houses all of the data stored on Pages, Keynote and Numbers, granted you have these files using the iCloud service. You're just using the App to access those files for editing and sharing purposes. Hope this helps.😊

Jul 12, 2015 11:17 PM in response to MarriageToGo

Hello MarriageToGo,

Hmmm. That's a tough one. I would err on the side of caution and suggest that you NOT delete the Pages app from your iPhone. I searched through several articles online and finally ran across this one while using the search tags: 2015 pages app not fully installing after update iphone.....

Link: http://alvinalexander.com/apple/iphone-waiting-apps-update-install-reinstall-del ete-ipod

Basically, they are suggesting that you perform a reboot of your iPhone, then once it has fully restarted, try to resume the install.

Here is a portion the text from the above link, and I sincerely hope this helps and that your issue is resolved without any loss of data. I would also suggest subscribing to an iCloud account. I believe 5GB is free.

1) Waiting iPhone app solution - Reboot your iPhone (iPad, or iPod)

The most popular solution I’ve seen (and the most-written about solution in the comments below) for the waiting iPhone app problem is to reboot your iPhone. Here are some consolidated notes of comments about this “waiting iPhone apps” solution:

The iPhone reboot worked for me! I had about 11 apps with 'waiting' status after I pressed the 'Update' apps button. Somehow the app update process got stuck until the next day. Today, I rebooted my iPhone, and the iPhone apps finished updating themselves.

To reboot your iPhone, hold the iPhone Power button down for about five seconds, until the 'slide to power down' appears; then slide that slider over. Wait a minute or two, and then turn your iPhone back on by pressing the iPhone Power button until you see it come back on. After the reboot, the iPhone app installation/update process resumed, updating each app, one at a time. Hope this helps.

Update, April 14, 2011: I just had this “waiting” problem myself with an iPad app, and rebooting my iPad solved the problem. When the iPad rebooted, I went to look at the app icon, which was on the second screen, and by the time I scrolled over to the second screen it was already in the "Loading..." state.

2) Resume the iPhone app download

This second solution to the “iPhone app waiting” problem has also helped some iPhone owners:

"I simply resumed downloading the app that was loading. I had to 'guess' at which app got stuck, based on the ones that were loaded and the one that was missing. I then went to the app store (on the iPhone, not on the PC) and then started the download/install process for the app I thought did not download correctly. Sure enough that fixed the problem. I have no idea, however, how to figure out which app is causing the problem. I simply guessed and got it right."

So, looking at a specific example, let's assume there was a problem installing or updating the iPhone Twitter app. In this case, you'd follow these steps to fix this iPhone app waiting problem:

Go to the App Store on your iPhone.

Find the Twitter app.

Press the 'Free' button.

Press the 'Install' button.

The iPhone Twitter app should be installed/reinstalled.

3) Sign out/in to App Store

From one of the comments below, here's another possible solution to the "iPhone waiting app" problem:

None of the above worked for me (on an iPod Touch), but what did was:

Entered App Store on the Touch, signed out of my account (at the bottom of one of the screens, e.g. "Featured"), returned to the Touch home screen, entered App Store again, signed in, waited. After a few minutes, when the activity indicator (next to the wifi strength indicator, top left) stopped, I went back to the home screen and the waiting app had gone.

Many thanks to a commenter named Graham for this possible solution.

4) Fix a waiting iPhone app - Use a different WiFi network

Digging around the internet, I've read several people say that this problem may be related to your WiFi network and internet access. If so, there are a couple of possible ways around this.

a) Access the internet with a physical cable instead of WiFi

In this possible solution, if the Mac or PC you connect your iPhone to has a direct cable connection to your internet provider (the cable connects from the back of the computer to the box your internet access provider gave you), connect your iPhone to your computer, and attempt to restart the waiting iPhone app through the iTunes app interface.

If this doesn't happen automatically, you can follow these steps:

Connect your iPhone or iPod to your Mac or PC.

Wait until the iPhone/iPod appears in the iTunes 'DEVICES' section.

Click the 'Apps' tab on the right side of iTunes.

Click the 'Sync' button on the bottom-right of iTunes.

b) Use someone else's WiFi network

If that solution doesn't work, see if you can borrow a friend or neighbor's WiFi service. Take your iPhone/iPod over to their home, log into their network, and see if you can get the download to resume. If this doesn't work immediately, also try rebooting your iPhone while at their home, and see if that restarts the process. Also, if you can't get internet access this way, try the free WiFi at a place like Starbucks, McDonald's, or many other coffee shops.

iPhone waiting app solutions - Summary

Jul 14, 2015 8:07 AM in response to JCpro

Thanks so much for your detailed reply--very thoughtful and much appreciated! Unfortunately, I've tried most of these solutions and none of them have solved the problem thus far: resetting the iPad, trying the update with a USB cable, signing in and out, rebooting. It's unlikely to be the wifi service, particularly since I attempted the USB-connected update via a different network. At the moment I'm just leaving the bricked app in its nonfunctional state and hoping Apple will actually address this somehow....there's another thread with this same complaint, so it's not exactly a rare one-off situation: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7114481#

So Apple Admin, anyone? Bueller? McCloud?

Pages app won't finish downloading, I deleted once and started again but stuck again and I can't delete.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.