Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch Connection

My daughter has an iPod Touch 5g which she cannot surf the internet. I have a Linksys router and I do have parental controls enabled on the router and I am not blocking access times to her device. The iPod can join the router but when you launch Safari nothing. Even if you access Yahoo or Google, it will not establish the connection. I know she has a lot of apps, photos, videos, etc.. on this iPod. I am sure that she is low on space. I don't know if space and using Safari have anything do it. I think the iPod has 8.2 on it. Maybe 8.1 but I think

I have rebooted the router.

I have turned off parental controls on the router.

I have reset the network settings on the iPod.

I have cleared the cache and browsing data on the iPod.

I have tried to use the 5 band instead of the 2.4 band and there isn't any change.

There isn't any other device in the house that has ongoing connection problems. I don't think the problem is a router issue as it is the iPod. Every other iPod or Kindle Fire connects to the internet just fine.

Is there something on the ipod that I am overlooking? Could an app be causing connection problems? Could it be a space issue? My daughter thinks the problem is the router. I beg to differ with her.

iPod touch, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 10:19 AM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2015 10:27 AM in response to pfisher112

Does the iOS device connect to other networks? If yes that tends to indicate a problem with your network.

Does the iOS device see the network?

Any error messages?

Do other devices now connect?

Did the iOS device connect before? not clear

Try the following to rule out a software problem:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Power off and then back on your router

.- Reset network settings: Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

- iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

- Wi-Fi: Unable to connect to an 802.11n Wi-Fi network

- iOS: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: How to back up

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

If still problem and it does not connect to any networks make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Apr 30, 2015 10:51 AM in response to lllaass

Well, yes the iPod has connected before and there hasn't been any changes to the router. She has experienced this issue on/off for a while. She could go several weeks and not have a problem and then out of the blue, she cannot connect. Again, I know she has a lot of crap on this iPod. We live in a neighborhood where mostly others have there WiFi locked. The only other Wifi is Optimum. I forgot to mention, I did perform a restart on the iPod, no change. Again, I tend to think it is the device than the router. Why would other devices connect without any problems and this iPod experience problems. Here is another tidbit, when you launch Safari, AFTER you cleared the cache and browsing data, Safari opens some random webpage. Clearing the cache should clear any weird and random sites.

Apr 30, 2015 11:18 AM in response to lllaass

I am glad that someone else is puzzled. Again, I still think there is an app or something on the device that is causing the problem. She does have a VPN app on this iPod. I don't believe she is using it and I don't think she is signed into it either. When you launch Safari, Safari tries to connect to secure.something.com. I don't remember the site name. Again, that is why I think there is something on the device that is interfering with the connection.

iPod Touch Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.