Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drawbacks to OS & Apps on on partition and documents on another?

I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to having the OS (in this case OS 10.8.5) and applications and documents on another. I'd be most grateful for help with this. Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 24GB RAM/MOTU 2408 mk3 audio interface

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 1:30 PM

It may complicate the process of backing up your data, and some applications, including all OS components, need to be on the Mac OS X boot volume.

(126853)

3 replies

Apr 30, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Niel

As I said the OS and all applications would be on one partition and the documents, music, pictures on another partition. The reason I brought this up is that I'm using a partition on an SSD as the boot drive. The boot SSD requires a driver. This driver has been problematic - - there appear to be software conflicts of various kinds. One issue, for example, is that rebuilding the directory with DiskWarrior 5.0 causes the computer to be unable to awake from sleep. Having the documents on a separate partition would mean (presumably) that the directory of that partition could be rebuilt without affecting the OS. All the companies involved are attempting to find a solution but has come up with one so I'm looking for a workaround.

Thanks

Drawbacks to OS & Apps on on partition and documents on another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.