Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

very long boot time after upgrade to yosemite

upgrade to 10.10.3 from 10.8.x resulted in extremely long boot up and shut down times.

I read through the "stalls at 50% boot" threads but I'm not sure they apply to me.

I don't use active directory

My machine:

Mac mini (Late 2009)

Mac mini - model: Macmini3,1

1 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

8 GB RAM Upgradeable

It takes forever to boot up, stalling on the progress bar, but eventually makes it to the desktop after maybe 10 minutes.

And when i shut down, it goes to spinning segmented circle for a good few minutes before it finally shuts down.

I have tried repair permissions and repair disk(on the drive, not the boot volume). no fix

I will bootup to recovery HD and try repair drive on the boot volume but I am doubtful.

I ran etrecheck and only red flags are:

Problem System Launch Daemon: [failed] com.apple.mtrecorder.plist

Launch Daemons: [failed] com.apple.spirecorder.plist

I will investigate these and delete if I can..

Am I missing anything else?

Mac mini (Late 2009)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 9:50 AM

15 replies

Apr 30, 2015 11:20 AM in response to bro's orange imac

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Step 1

For this step, the title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

In the top right corner of the Console window, there's a search box labeled Filter. Initially the words "String Matching" are shown in that box. Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes.)

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Select the BOOT_TIME log message that corresponds to the last boot time when you had the problem. Now clear the search box to reveal all messages. Select the ones logged before the boot, during the time something abnormal was happening. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

For example, if the system was unresponsive or was failing to shut down for three minutes before you forced a restart, post the messages timestamped within three minutes before the boot time, not after. Please include the BOOT_TIME message at the end of the log extract—not at the beginning.

If there are long runs of repeated messages, please post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Step 2

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of reports. A crash report has a name that begins with the name of the crashed process and ends in ".crash". A panic report has a name that begins with "Kernel" and ends in ".panic". A shutdown stall report has a name that ends in ".shutdownstall". Select the most recent of each, if any. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot. It's possible that none of these reports exists.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a crash or panic, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report—they're very long and rarely helpful.

When you post the log extract or the crash report, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Apr 30, 2015 11:56 AM in response to Eric Root

EtreCheck version: 2.2 (132)

Report generated 4/30/15, 2:42 PM

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

Mac mini (Late 2009) (Technical Specifications)

Mac mini - model: Macmini3,1

1 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

8 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Video Information: ℹ️

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 - VRAM: 256 MB

CMC 17" AD 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.3 (14D136) - Time since boot: one day 2:59:3

Disk Information: ℹ️

Hitachi HTS545032B9SA02 disk0 : (320.07 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

FM Mini HD (disk0s2) / : 319.21 GB (264.95 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H

USB Information: ℹ️

ATEN 4 Port USB KVM B V1.30

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Problem System Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[failed] com.apple.mtrecorder.plist

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.apple.spirecorder.plist

[loaded] com.bombich.ccc.plist [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.BC942274-01A1-4B0B-930C-598A660FFD8A.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.bombich.ccchelper.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.filemaker.fms.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.filemaker.httpd.graceful.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.filemaker.httpd.start.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.filemaker.httpd.stop.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.sharpcast.xfsmond.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

iTunesHelper Application Hidden (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

CCC User Agent Application (/Applications/Carbon Copy Cloner.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/CCC User Agent.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flash Player: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 7 Update 75 Check version

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Flash Player [Click for support]

Java [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

2% WindowServer

2% fontd(2)

0% taskgated

0% Finder

0% systemstatsd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

999 MB java(2)

689 MB kernel_task

549 MB fmserverd

418 MB softwareupdated

205 MB fmscwpc

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

418 MB Free RAM

7.59 GB Used RAM

0 B Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Apr 29, 2015, 11:42:18 AM Self test - passed

Apr 30, 2015 12:01 PM in response to bro's orange imac

before i shutdown tonight, the console is currently running many many lines of the following in the console (all messages)

4/30/15 2:42:39.009 PM lsregister[18567]: LaunchServices: Begin database seeding

4/30/15 2:42:39.009 PM lsregister[18567]: LaunchServices: Completed database seeding

4/30/15 2:44:39.680 PM lsregister[18594]: LaunchServices: Begin database seeding

4/30/15 2:44:39.680 PM lsregister[18594]: LaunchServices: Completed database seeding

Apr 30, 2015 4:17 PM in response to bro's orange imac

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

May 1, 2015 5:43 AM in response to bro's orange imac

booting in Recovery HD

I couldn't measure time it took to boot in recovery because my work day eneded

upon arrival this morning i was greeted with "welcome screen" choose language.

I clicked english, and continue, and it took more than usual time to get to OS X Utilities screen

I clicked Disk Utility and it took 10 minutes for it to load and become usable.

I proceeded to repair disk on both the drive and its boot volume (both showed no errors) and repair permissions on the boot volume (just a couple printer related permissions fixes)

quitting Disk utility to get to the OS X Utilities window took more than usual time.

Basically every process of Recovery HD was slow, except the actual disk repairs. Even selecting Menu bar items was slow, like 30 seconds to have a menu selection take hold.

Next, reboot and see what happens

May 1, 2015 6:20 AM in response to bro's orange imac

reboot took 10 minutes.

I am copying off all data.

Since repair disk returned no errors and console shows no I/O errors, I'll assume the HD is ok.

Next step is a reinstall Yosemite

sidebar: console showed this message multiple times

5/1/15 9:07:42.253 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504) Service "com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000003.AppleSpell" tried to hijack endpoint "fr (Apple)_OpenStep" from owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000002.AppleSpell

May 1, 2015 6:39 AM in response to bro's orange imac

interesting discovery... The time elapsed from the BOOT_TIME console entry and the next console entry is very long. note the times in the snips below.

4/30/15 3:54:59.000 PM bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1430423699 0

4/30/15 4:02:10.000 PM syslogd[37]: Configuration Notice: ASL Module "com.apple.AccountPolicyHelper" claims selected messages. Those messages may not appear in standard system log files or in the ASL database.

5/1/15 8:46:05.000 AM bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1430484365 0

5/1/15 8:53:17.000 AM syslogd[37]: Configuration Notice: ASL Module "com.apple.AccountPolicyHelper" claims selected messages. Those messages may not appear in standard system log files or in the ASL database.

For comparison, here is the same BOOT_TIME and the first entry after it from my properly functioning laptop:

5/1/15 9:27:11.000 AM bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1430486831 0

5/1/15 9:27:44.000 AM syslogd[20]: Configuration Notice: ASL Module "com.apple.appstore" claims selected messages. Those messages may not appear in standard system log files or in the ASL database.

What is happening in the 8 minutes on the Mini?

May 1, 2015 8:17 AM in response to bro's orange imac

Please take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Test after each one. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Set the default startup disk.

2. Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed to start up. If there's no change, reconnect them

3. Reset the System Management Controller.

4. Reset the PRAM.

5. Reset the printing system.

6. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/folders/zz

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with a subfolder named "zz" selected. Move that subfolder to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

May 1, 2015 10:36 AM in response to Linc Davis

since i had already tried SMC and PRAM (as i stated in an earlier post) and got no improvement. And since it was at the point where it would not even boot to desktop, but stalled at 50% after an hour of waiting...

I am doing an erase and install.

Booting to Macintosh HD failed and booting to Recovery HD failed.

If the clean instal works, it will prove that the issue was software. And being that the ONLY non-apple apps I installed were FileMaker Server 13 (a subsidiary of Apple) and Carbon Copy Cloner (for backups), I am inclined to think this bug, which apparently is widespread, is Apple's fault.

Im not sure what Im hoping for. I want this to work so my Mac can get back to actual work, but it will mean Apple is at fault.

very long boot time after upgrade to yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.