Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Legacy editing with FCP X

I have the dailies for a feature and they have all been put into long single clips containing all the Scenes, Shots and takes that were recorded each day. I am now using FCP X, but have not figured out how to break up each long clip into their corresponding Scenes, Shots, and takes. In other words, I would like to create legacy bins for each scene and all its takes. Since some scenes were sot across several days, It would be great to separate all the scenes/shots into their own bins or folders. Has someone dealt with this issue in FCX? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 11:17 AM

9 replies

Apr 30, 2015 11:47 AM in response to Lumistu60

You need to learn about keywords. You can do what you used to with bins and a lot more that you couldn't.

You can add as many keywords as you want to as many clips or parts of clips that you want. For every keyword a keyword collection is automatically created. These will be your "bins". But these are only metadata, so the same clip can be in several keyword collections. It may be confusing at first, but it takes media management to a new and superior level.

Apr 30, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you for your quick response, Luis. I am assuming that I should then organise my dailies the following way:

1st Day Shoot = Event

Scene 1 = Keyword

Scene 1 Take 1 = Keyword

Scene 1 Take 2 = Keyword

Does this make any sense? Is there a website/article/book that explains this in more detail? I am sure that other people who are editing features in FCP X are facing the same dilemma.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Apr 30, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Lumistu60

The, erm, key word in Louis's reply was "confusing." Your keywords are more like simple clip names. You might have separate events for each of your scenes. Dailies will have clip names, surely, but keywords are more like your old style FCP7 bins. For instance, to organize a day's shooting, I'd be using keywords such as Good, No Good, and Best.

May 1, 2015 6:59 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I guess tagging each section of the long clip that contains a Scene number and a shot number with a keyword is the way to go. I wish I could find a reference as to how someone else has done this.... I´m sure several features have been edited on FCP X by now, but for the life of me I have not found an article, book or video that explains how to break down all the dailes in a single clip into separate Scenes and shots, and an efficient workflow to do this.

Legacy editing with FCP X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.