Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reverting to mavericks from another computer

I have an app which controls my piano keyboard which only runs on Mavericks. I did a backup on my time machine, with a partitioned hard drive, from a friend's iMac which was still on Yosemite. I would like to start my MacBook, which runs on Yosemite, from the backup and then make a copy of Mavericks on a thumb drive so that I can start my MacBook from the thumb drive. I could then use the app which runs on Mavericks to control my key board. I assume I could start up my MacBook from my Yosemite backup. Is this possible and if so how do I do it. Thanks

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mac book intel duo

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 11:49 AM

15 replies

Apr 30, 2015 10:51 PM in response to ginasdad

If you downloaded Mavericks with your Apple ID, the idea might work; however, if it was downloaded using someone else's Apple ID, then it is tied to that Apple ID and anything downloaded from the app store is NOT transferable. And, if you downloaded it previously, you should be able to use internet recovery to wipe your drive, reinstall your original OS (or possibly Lion if yours came with Snow Leopard or earlier) and then update to the previously purchased Mavericks.

Apr 30, 2015 10:51 PM in response to ginasdad

Yes, if you use the original install media, boot from that, erase the entire hard drive and then reinstall, then all of it would be tied to your apple ID - you need to be at 10.6.8 to have access to the app store. If yours came with Lion or later, then Internet Recovery should also work, but if it was Snow leopard or earlier, you'll need the disks.

May 6, 2015 7:06 PM in response to ginasdad

"Too old" only makes sense if you currently have Yosemite installed as the Mac's OS. You can't install an older major release over a newer one. You'd have to back up your data, boot to the Mavericks USB installer you made, erase the hard drive, install Mavericks, then restore your personal data and reinstall your third party apps.

The Mavericks downloaded .dmg file should still be in the Applications folder.

reverting to mavericks from another computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.