Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone 5s battery die so quickly?

For a while now the battery on my iPhone 5s has been dying very quickly. At 8:30am it can be at 100% and be completely flat at 5pm the same day. It also gets very hot whilst charging. I am very careful as to when I plug it in and only do so if it is below 10%. Just today I restored it to factory settings but it has not made a difference. According to a battery app I downloaded on the App Store, the average battery life for my phone model is around 22 hours. My phone would struggle to reach 7! I do not use it excessively, as I am only on it every couple of hours. Any help appreciated, as I am new to this page. Thanks in advance.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, iPhone bought last July.

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 11:12 AM

12 replies

Apr 30, 2015 2:59 PM in response to rossandrew

Probably apps running in the background are causing this, sometimes Mail get's stuck connecting to the mail server, or some social media app like Facebook can also be a reason for prolonged background activity.

Try to reset the phone by holding the sleep and home button for about 10sec, until the Apple logo comes back again. You will not lose any data by resetting, but it can cure some glitches.

If this does not help, setting it up as new device would be the next step:

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

Maybe also take a look at this page about battery drainage

Apr 30, 2015 3:18 PM in response to rossandrew

You may have a bad/defective battery. Make a Genius Bar reservation at your local Apple Store (if you have access to one) to have it evaluated for free. Free replacement of the battery may be covered if you're still under warranty.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Also, Apple does have a battery recall in effect for the iPhone 5 (I'm not sure if this applies to the 5s as well). Check if your phone is covered by the recall at the following page:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

I have an issue with my 5s's front display lifting up from the phone's body at the top-left. This is usually attributed to a defective/bloating battery & I myself have a Genius Bar reservation to pinpoint the issue. I checked to see if my 5s is covered under the recall but it is not...but it could still be a defective/bloating battery covered under the standard warranty. The phone is only 4 months old.

May 4, 2015 6:37 AM in response to SergZak

Think my battery must be defective and I am still in warranty by 2 months. Unfortunately my phone ins't covered by the battery replacement program, but when I entered my serial number it said this:

"- Our records show that your battery has already been replaced. If you paid for a battery replacement service, check with Apple to see if you are eligible for a refund."

I have never had the battery replaced since I bought the phone new from the Apple Store last July. Perhaps this is just a meaningless mistake. I attached some screenshots showing that the battery dropped 10% in 13 minutes...please bear in mind that this has not been the worst drop there has been. User uploaded file

I can take screenshots more frequently if it helps.

May 6, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Ingo2711

Called apple today and I am taking the phone into the store on Saturday to get it replaced. They were able to run a diagnostics test over the internet and apparently the battery is fine, but there is a software malfunction. Seems odd how this continued even after I restored and set up as a new iPhone. Anyway, they will evaluate it when I take it in and decide then whether to replace just the battery or the phone. Turns out the message I was discussing earlier was just a mistake on my part! Thanks again for your help.

May 6, 2015 9:06 PM in response to rossandrew

You don't have to be under the battery recall program to have a defective battery and have it exchanged under warranty.

I see you will be taking it in for an exchange but it's not the battery that's at fault...good luck to you. Apple will fix you up.

BTW, my issue was not a bad/bloated battery but rather the screen lifting was due to screen delamination at the top-right corner. The Apple Store would've changed the screen (supposedly) but to do so requires some type of calibration of the screen. Something on Apple's end for the calibration procedure was down, and had been down for a few days (nationwide I was told) so it was not possible to be done. I was given a replacement phone on the spot so all has turned out well. I now need to keep my eye on the wife's 5s for the delamination as well since they were both purchased at the same time.

Why does my iPhone 5s battery die so quickly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.