Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! My iPad Air is stuck in earbud mode!!!!!

I used my earbuds a few times so I could play a game and watch a movie quietly and now my iPad is stuck in earbud mode. No sound comes out of it except through the earbuds!!!!!!! I've rebooted it several times, installed the latest updates and checked all the volume settings which are turned up all the way none of this has helped. How do I fix this and get my sound back!?!?!?!?!?

iPad Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 11:54 AM

3 replies

May 2, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Crazy_6

Hello Crazy_6,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

It appears that your iPad is behaving like headphones are connected, but they are not. I understand that this can be a frustrating situation.

Restarting your iPad and checking the volume settings were good steps, and here is what I'd try next in this situation:

• Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
  • Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  • ... If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  • If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  • Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  • Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you followed these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact Apple Support.

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

All the best,

Jeremy

May 8, 2015 7:23 AM in response to Crazy_6

There's a tiny switch inside the jack that detects when the earphones have been plugged in. In your case, the switch got stuck in the "in" position due to dust, debris, or worse. If it is due to dust or some dry debris, repeated unplugging and/or blowing compressed air as suggested may release it. But if something sticky is the cause (the "worse" option), then you might be forced to take it in for service so the techs can use something stronger that doesn't cause yet more damage and void any warranty left.

Help! My iPad Air is stuck in earbud mode!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.