Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete more than one photo at a time

Apparently there is no longer an iPhoto trash. So you don't drag photos to the trash. Instead you hit the delete key and then a second click on delete when you get the message "Are you sure you want to delete this photo." Has anyone found a way to delete more than one photo at a time, though? This is really a hassle if you have just imported 500 photos and are going to end up deleting 450 of them.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 10:41 AM

8 replies

Apr 30, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Ah ha. There is no "delete" option in the Image menu when in Last Import view. You have to go to the photos view to get the option to delete in the View menu. So when you import photos you are automatically in the Last Import view. You can only delete one photo at a time in the Last Import view. You need to get out of that view and into the Photos View in order to delete more than one photo at a time. This is crazy!

Apr 30, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Pressing the command button was the key to deleting multiple photos in the Last Import view. Who would have known? Thanks.

So the instructions are:

When in the Last Import view, click delete to delete one photo; if you want to delete more than one photo you must hit command and delete at the same time.

Why is it a different process for deleting two photos than it is for deleting one photo? And why is it different in the Last Import view than it is in the Photos view. Simplicity and consistency obvious not the benchmarks of Apple anymore.

Apr 30, 2015 4:21 PM in response to dwcoop

I didn't say use the command key and delete. I use the command key for selecting random photos. Then I right click and choose delete from the contextual menu.

I always use right click, but the command-delete does work also in that album.

Depending on what album you are in, there are different menus. In a user created album, the right click would show "Remove from Album" & "Delete Photo". I noticed that was the same for Last Import Album. But at the same time, under image, you will only have Remove from Album. If it is a system album, you will only get the delete menu from either the right click or from the menu under Image.

What you have to remember is if it days delete the photo, it will completely delete it from the library and all albums. If the menu says Remove From Album, then it will only be removed from the album you are in.

In PhotoStream Album, you get only Delete Photo from the right click menu, but under image, you get only remove from album. So if you want to remove an image from PhotoStream, you have to use the top menu so it won't get deleted from the library. If you want to remove a photo completely, you would use delete and it will be removed from the library and photo stream.

So, there are different processes for the different albums. I don't know if that is intentional or just oversight. That may change in the future.

How to delete more than one photo at a time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.