Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant attach photos to email after "upgrade" to Photos...why?

HI,

So recently Apple updated (hijacked) my iPhoto app on my computer with their "new and improved" Photos software. While is good to have some long needed features like a useful file system, I seem to have lost some core functionality. I use Outlook as part of Office for Mac and can no long attach photos to emails. Yes, I know Apple and Microsoft hate each other and neglect if not sabatoge each other's stuff, but attaching a photo/image to Outlook email seems to be basic functionality Apple left out.

PLease discuss this and let me know if I'm missing something simple or how I might be able to fix this major problem. Otherwise how do I downgrade my software to the last iPhoto version so I can once again send an image over email.

i Realize that Apple may not have done this intentionally, but I never volunteered to be a beta tester for their new software. Apple is niave if they think people don't use MS Office on Macs. BTW, I have 3ipads, 3 macs, 2iphones and just purchased 4 watches...I hope there is an easy fix for this.

THanks!

Jeff

iPhone 3G

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 1:05 PM

Nothing was hijacked. iPhoto is still on your Mac in the Applications folder. It was just replaced in the Dock with Photos during the 10.10.3 installation. If you were running iPhoto 9.6.1 you can still use it with your iPhoto Library.

It's MS's responsibility to update Outlook so it can work with Yosemite and Photos, not Apple's The same goes for all of the may other applications. It's the developers of those apps that must do the job. So don't blame Apple for their dropping the ball.

And remember upgrading to Yosemite was entirely voluntary on your part.

If you don't have iPhoto 9.6.1 then you can get it by following Terence Devlin's method in this post:

Terence Devlin including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image ends here

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

[DocumentBodyStart:d25bf602-029a-4466-b895-2ab6c98bb4c9]

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 1:05 PM in response to stillapplecored

Nothing was hijacked. iPhoto is still on your Mac in the Applications folder. It was just replaced in the Dock with Photos during the 10.10.3 installation. If you were running iPhoto 9.6.1 you can still use it with your iPhoto Library.

It's MS's responsibility to update Outlook so it can work with Yosemite and Photos, not Apple's The same goes for all of the may other applications. It's the developers of those apps that must do the job. So don't blame Apple for their dropping the ball.

And remember upgrading to Yosemite was entirely voluntary on your part.

If you don't have iPhoto 9.6.1 then you can get it by following Terence Devlin's method in this post:

Terence Devlin including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image ends here

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

[DocumentBodyStart:d25bf602-029a-4466-b895-2ab6c98bb4c9]

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

May 4, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Old Toad

I Appreciate your time Old Toad, but I disagree with your perceived level of social if not legal responsibility that Apple should have regarding its products. It is unethical for you and Apple to claim that there is no implied responsibility in compatibility with upgrading new products. Under your plan Apple could conceivably change the conditions of their core software on a daily basis to specifically make it incompatible with competitors products. This is anti-competitive and illegal under some definitions of legislation targeted at such unethical behavior. Microsoft office is one of the most popular software packages for the Macintosh and is considered to be a legitimate legacy if not superior product to anything that Apple offers. Apple has a social responsibility to its customers for supporting popular existing products ....They do not even offer a product as capable as Outlook.

As for voluntary upgrades to Yosemite what you say is simply not true . Several devices will no longer communicate with each other nor is technical support from Apple available unless you implement the upgrade. Much of what I see and Apple's software strategy seems to be part of a planned obsolescence scheme to get it's existing customer base to use exclusively Apple software or purchase new Apple hardware. Generally I'm a loyal Apple customer but I don't like having my daily routine's torpedoed when they intentionally change a product so its incompatible with a huge percentage on their installed customer base. I hope the DOJ catches up with them!

You must be one of those support Apple in any situation drone, I have a higher set of ethics. I also noticed you reposted someone else's solution.

Cant attach photos to email after "upgrade" to Photos...why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.