Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Since 2 days no browser is working properly in my Macbook, no internet!

Hi all,

since a couple of the days my internet is working very weird or not working at all. No browser is working properly and only few pages work. Facebook, Gmail, Google, Youtube, and random pages won´t open. In the other hand my wordpress page works fine and Twitter for example too. I tried in Chrome (the one i use the most*), Firefox and Safari, and they all have the same problem.

I deleted the cookies and cache, updated my laptop to Yosemite, checked the proxys in system preferences (none was activated), deactivated the chrome extensions i don't remember to have installed and nothing worked so far...! I also use Avast Mac Security and it says I am protected (I am scanning the system again while i write here, let's see if it finds something)

The weirdest thing is that my boyfriends computer works fine, and my iPad and smartphone too (a little slow though, but at least i can open the pages i want).

Can anybody help? I really need to have everything back as I work from home, hope someone will be able to help me

*Attached 2 photos of what i get from Google Chrome

Thanks in advance for any answer!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 12:03 PM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2015 5:55 PM in response to maie.e

I also use Avast Mac Security

Shut it off, repair permissions and restart your computer. If this works, uninstall Avast as there are no known OX viruses.

Check out User Tip: Viruses, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet Security and Mac Malware Guide.

Check out this thread & note Linc Davis’s Nov 18, 2014 9:24 PM response regarding MALWARE.

User uploaded file

Apr 30, 2015 5:23 PM in response to maie.e

"Avast" is the worst of the whole wretched lot of commercial "security" products for the Mac. Not only does it fail to protect you from any real danger, it may send personal data (such as web browsing history and the contents of email messages) back to the developer without your knowledge, give false warnings, destabilize and slow down the computer, expose you to network attack, and corrupt the network settings and the permissions of files in your home folder. Removing it may not repair all the damage.

Some versions of the product also inject advertising into web pages. In short, apart from the fine print in the license agreement, Avast is indistinguishable from malware, and is arguably worse than any known malware now in circulation.

Back up all data, then remove Avast according to the developer's instructions. Restart.

If you tried to remove Avast by dragging an application to the Trash, you'll have to reinstall it and then follow the instructions linked above.

Help! Since 2 days no browser is working properly in my Macbook, no internet!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.