Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

some sent messages lost in Apple Mail

I have a new Macbook Pro early 2015 running Yosemite and use Apple Mail.

I am surprised at how slow outgoing messages are to send, regardless of whether I'm on a fast or slow wifi network, regardless of whether the message has rich content.

More troubling is that once in a while, and I think its for particularly long sends, the sent message never appears in my Sent box.

Rebuilding doesn't restore them.

This is on an imap server. It doesn't use a Path prefix, uses Port 993 and SSL is selected.

Can anyone help? I need to keep my sent messages for reference. I saw an older post like this from 2007 but was never listed as resolved.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 5:20 PM

BTW, you posted in the Lion forum instead of Yosemite. For best results post in Yosemite the next time.

We need to determine if this is a Spotlight issue or a problem in Mail. It would be helpful to know what type IMAP? iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com or other.

If you search in Spotlight in the Finder (top right in menu bar) for the message subject does it show up? If yes, can you find the message in Mail search?

HOW TO RE-INDEX YOUR SPOTLIGHT CACHE FILES

Option 1)

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.

* Click Spotlight.

* Make sure Mail & Messages is checked under the Search Results tab.

* Click the Privacy tab.

* Drag your drive to the list. Wait a couple of minutes.

* Remove the item you added.

* Spotlight will re-index the contents of the item you initially dragged to the list.

Option 2)

Follow the steps here.

Use OS X Recovery Disk Assistant to reset Your files and folder permissions

When you restart Spotlight will reindex your entire drive.

Option 3)

Copy the text below and open Terminal (in /Application/Utilities). Paste the code into the Terminal window at the prompt.

sudo mdutil -E /

You will be asked for your administrator password (and if you've never used the sudo command you'll need to accept the warning presented). When you type your password, it will look like nothing is being typed. That's normal. Once you've typed your administrator password, press Return.

This will completely remove the Spotlight index and force a new one to be created. Probably not necessary, but I would immediately quit Terminal and restart your Mac.

SUMMARY:

Depending on your Mac and the contents of it's hard disk, re-indexing may take several hours. Doing this overnight is a good option if you have a large drive.

You can tell if it's still in progress by simply looking at the Spotlight menu: There's a blinking dot in the middle of the magnifying glass while indexing is occurring. You can also open Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities and type in md in the search filter. You should see mdworker32 and mdworker. mdworker32 is the Microsoft Outlook Spotlight index and mdworker is for system.

Until this process is finished, Spotlight won’t know the contents of your disks and neither will Mail.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2015 5:20 PM in response to Wayne Frankel

BTW, you posted in the Lion forum instead of Yosemite. For best results post in Yosemite the next time.

We need to determine if this is a Spotlight issue or a problem in Mail. It would be helpful to know what type IMAP? iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com or other.

If you search in Spotlight in the Finder (top right in menu bar) for the message subject does it show up? If yes, can you find the message in Mail search?

HOW TO RE-INDEX YOUR SPOTLIGHT CACHE FILES

Option 1)

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.

* Click Spotlight.

* Make sure Mail & Messages is checked under the Search Results tab.

* Click the Privacy tab.

* Drag your drive to the list. Wait a couple of minutes.

* Remove the item you added.

* Spotlight will re-index the contents of the item you initially dragged to the list.

Option 2)

Follow the steps here.

Use OS X Recovery Disk Assistant to reset Your files and folder permissions

When you restart Spotlight will reindex your entire drive.

Option 3)

Copy the text below and open Terminal (in /Application/Utilities). Paste the code into the Terminal window at the prompt.

sudo mdutil -E /

You will be asked for your administrator password (and if you've never used the sudo command you'll need to accept the warning presented). When you type your password, it will look like nothing is being typed. That's normal. Once you've typed your administrator password, press Return.

This will completely remove the Spotlight index and force a new one to be created. Probably not necessary, but I would immediately quit Terminal and restart your Mac.

SUMMARY:

Depending on your Mac and the contents of it's hard disk, re-indexing may take several hours. Doing this overnight is a good option if you have a large drive.

You can tell if it's still in progress by simply looking at the Spotlight menu: There's a blinking dot in the middle of the magnifying glass while indexing is occurring. You can also open Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities and type in md in the search filter. You should see mdworker32 and mdworker. mdworker32 is the Microsoft Outlook Spotlight index and mdworker is for system.

Until this process is finished, Spotlight won’t know the contents of your disks and neither will Mail.

May 3, 2015 7:28 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Thanks, dianeforegon! Sorry about the Lion thing (dont' know how I ended up there).

I've tried option 1 and will see how it goes. I actually lost another sent message earlier today. Will those reappear if it is a Spotlight issue?

Otherwise, the IMAP account is a Time Warner Cable thing ('roadrunner'). It set-up automatically with this new machine (I vaguely recalBut I wonder whether it needs to be IMAP. I do not think there is any or at least effective synching to warrant IMAP. I have the option to set it up with pop3 - maybe I need to just change the server to that and this problem will go away?

Wayne

some sent messages lost in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.