Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What should I do?

So, i'm freaking out right now because last night I got a pop up saying there was a security warning and some malicious virus was affecting my computer and it had the 1-800-313-2495 number attached to it. I didn't call it last night but I just did this time because I thought it was actually apple, which is dumb on my part because after they told me what was wrong and after saying no to paying for a fix, I look up this same issue and come to find out, it's apparently a scam. Now, i'm just freaking out about how dumb I am for even talking to them and what not since all I had to do was hold shift and click on safari again. Now, they probably have all of my information and stuff. I don't know what to do, what should I do? I think i'm pretty much screwed. I can't buy a whole new laptop considering I don't have thousands of dollars on me. I'm kind of ranting but at the same time i'm asking what should I do? If anyone comes across this and answers back, that would be nice but i'm not expecting it.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 2:17 PM

This is a scam.

For more info:

Section: "How to respond.........."

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-support-scam-pop-ups/

4 replies

May 3, 2015 9:06 AM in response to fortner2134

The big question is, did you allow them to have remote access to your Mac? This isn't something that could have happened all by itself; you would have had to download something they directed you to, then install it. If you didn't do that, then you're safe. If you did allow them access, your computer has been compromised. Follow the instructions at the link dominic23 gave you.

Also, note that even if you got infected with malware or gave hackers remote access to your system, that would not mean that you'd have to buy a new computer. Worst case scenario, you would have to erase the hard drive and reinstall the system and any third-party apps you use from scratch, then recover documents from a backup.

What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.