Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple says max RAM is 8GB for MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2012) but can I push it to 16GB?? (or is it a waste of $$)

currently have 4GB (2GBx2)

500GB storage

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 processor

OS 10.10.3

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 1:31 PM

7 replies

May 5, 2015 4:17 PM in response to Niel

Just a note of caution, as I have just returned from the Genius Bar and 5 days of machine issues... I have a Mid 2012 MBP 15 and have run 16 gigs of RAM since purchase... I recently enabled FileVault (needed for a clients new security parameters) and found that now my Yosemite 10.10.3 machine will not recognize more than 8 gigs. This caused all kinds of havoc with spotlight, Time Machine, etc... Had to remove the extra 8 gig 😟 and machine now works fine.

May 5, 2015 7:36 PM in response to kahjot

The iGenius said that the Mid2012 MBP has 8 Gigs of Ram limit in the ROM, in some way FileVault triggered that and the sleep state hangs were the result of an awakened MAC that only sees 8 Gigs of data and no longer recognizes any info in the other 8 gig chip(?) sounded plausible at the time... Said either go back to Mavericks or pull the extra 8 GIG out...

However, since that last post and the visit I now see that a potential firmware update to my SSH might have something also to do with the issue... the hardware test at the Apple store showed no problems but since my SSH is non-apple, it wouldn't flag anything anyway...

it's a mess... not a happy camper...

Apple says max RAM is 8GB for MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2012) but can I push it to 16GB?? (or is it a waste of $$)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.