Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I prevent iTunes synching every new phone?

If I plug someone else's iPhone into my PC to do a backup or to upgrade it, I get two options:

- Set up as new phone

- Restore from backup

Obviously I don't want to choose the second one, so I choose the first one. Then it starts synching and renames the phone to the name of my phone, and I don't know what else.

In Preferences, I have "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically" ticked. Why is it syncing? How can I stop it?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 2:59 PM

7 replies

May 6, 2015 6:29 PM in response to pshute

pshute wrote:

If I plug someone else's iPhone into my PC to do a backup or to upgrade it, I get two options:

- Set up as new phone

- Restore from backup

Obviously I don't want to choose the second one, so I choose the first one. Then it starts synching and renames the phone to the name of my phone, and I don't know what else.

In Preferences, I have "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically" ticked. Why is it syncing? How can I stop it?

After a really long support call to Apple, it appears that this is normal behaviour. The phone is being renamed because iTunes is guessing that this phone is my new one and that I'd probably like it to have the same name on it. The workaround is to check the name of the phone before continuing, and then rename it back. this can be done in iTunes to save doing it on the device.

The syncing that's going on is the device syncing to iTunes, rather than the other way around.

The support person suggested that if I don't like the way it works then I should submit some feedback. I'll do that.

I'm not utterly convinced that all the above is true, but unless someone can tell me that they've managed to prevent iTunes doing this, or that it's really doing something else, I'll have to go with it.

How can I prevent iTunes synching every new phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.