Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail on imac doesn't work

What happened to my Mail on imac? When I open it, I can't click on anything, or send, and when I go to the drop down menu the color wheel comes on and I have to force quit. I can't choose anything. It's essentially dead. This just started today. I might as well not even have the program on my computer.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 2:26 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2015 1:43 PM in response to smlowry

Hi smlowry,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that Mail is not functioning on your Mac the way you would expect. In this situation, I would recommend reading over the attached article to help isolate the issue. Please read over the If the issue occurs in one application only section in the attached article and work through the suggested steps.

Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue - Apple Support

Best regards,

Joe

May 3, 2015 6:59 AM in response to AppleJoe

Thanks, Joe - But I'm a computer idiot. My imac didn't come with any discs. So according to the article I should be able to search for mail under the apple menu, but there is no option for searching for apps. Just the software update and no search option there either. But then the article has been archived and not updated so maybe not the most recent info. I don't really use mail (I use gmail through firefox) and right now I'm nervous about reinstalling my whole system because everything else works fine and I don't have any Mac folks nearby to help if I screw things up.

May 6, 2015 2:56 PM in response to smlowry

Hello smlowry,

A different step I may recommend here, if the only account you are using is a Gmail account, would be to delete the account from the computer and then try to open Mail to isolate the issue. If Mail opens normally, try and add your account back to the computer.

For instructions on deleting the account, please follow the steps outlined in the following attached article.

Mail (Mountain Lion): Remove accounts

Have a great day,

Joe

mail on imac doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.