Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to App Store and Chrome problems with your connection is not private

I have a MacBook Air OSX Version 10.8.5. I have Chrome Version 42.0.2311.135 (64-bit).

Please tell me what I should do to fix this and whether it is a sign of problems or a compromised computer.

Very often when I go to a site I get a Privacy Error when visiting most sites (including Twitter, Apple discussions, support and product site). The screenshots are below.

Sometimes I can bypass the warning and sometimes I can't. Based on suggestions from friends this is what I've tried. This also may be relevant to an issue with certificates.

Is it because all these sites have sha-1?

https://garage.godaddy.com/webpro/security/google-chrome-phasing-ssl-certs-using -sha-1/

I deleted some login and system certificates that were expired or had red x's. I tried to delete the system root Keychain certificates but I don't see any options to delete them.

I also looked at the Proxies window, There were two entries under Bypass Proxy Settings and I deleted them. One was *local and another was a address number.

I've restarted a bunch of times, started in safe mode, and ran Disk Utility to verify and repair disk. Both showed no problems. I really appreciate your help and suggestions.

I have thought about upgrading the OS, if it would help, if it would provide extra security. Now I can't access the App Store to try that.

are attached.User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 4:02 PM

5 replies

May 1, 2015 4:38 PM in response to m3298375

Here are other things going on.

I looked at this article and found that the related certificate seemed fine.

http://blog.digicert.com/expired-intermediate-certificate/

Last night, my Finder windows were disappearing and reappearing sometimes 30 seconds later. I have Google Drive backing up some folders and Dropbox backing up some others. Based on articles, I paused both and the problem seemed to go away. I have it turned back on now and noticed the problem again.

I went through some of the steps here:

OS X: "Cannot connect" or "Cannot connect to the App Store. An internet connection is required" - Apple Support

I have the correct date and time.

My serial number is not missing.

I did the following yesterday and did not alleviate the problem.

Invalid or incorrect Certificates

Use the following steps to reset the cache of accepted certificates.

1. Open the Finder.
  2. Choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type /var/db/crls/ in the Go window.
  4. Click Go.
  5. Delete crlcache.db and ocspcache.db by dragging these files to the Trash.
  6. Enter an administrator password if you are prompted.
  7. Restart the system and test for the issue.

I still cannot open the App Store.

believe the App Store installed all the security updates, but I do have OS X 10.8.5. I took a bunch of screenshots while following the steps suggested elsewhere . It looks like Safari would allow me to "trust" Twitter but should I?

Does Chrome have something like that?

I was able to delete some certificates yesterday, but I think those were different than the system root ones.

As for deleting certificates, there are different types, right? So, Chris was deleting something other than the root types?

May 14, 2015 2:25 PM in response to Donald Morgan

I thought about doing that with Chrome, but based on the conversation I had with the people who run a site I had trouble with, Chrome was not the root cause of the certificate issues. I resolved issues by taking my machine to the Apple Store, and we upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.3. Everything was resolved after that. That was a free appointment for the upgrade.

Good luck, I know this is incredibly frustrating.

M

Cannot connect to App Store and Chrome problems with your connection is not private

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.